A quick question RE: 460 PI engine

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Apr 25, 2017.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you can snap a pic, that would help me decide if we can use use it. We *had* snagged a factory spring, but it up and disappeared.:mad:

2. handy_andy_cv64

Sooooooooooo...y'all will love this...Joe decided to haul all of us in the Barge, some 20+ miles to San Marcos, to go to Half-Price Books. Well, for the most part, the Barge did good at 40-65, but it would begin faltering, and a couple times had stalled out, was hard to start. I'm thinking the possibility of vapor locking in the fuel delivery line. If not that, then the carb is just about boiling. Every time Joe got the car restarted, there'd be a puff of smoke out the tailpipe. Anyway, his bro said to get a Holley, because his '69 Mark III also had a 4300D, and once he replaced it, he's been so very happy. So that may just happen soon.

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Bro is no fool ! Wondering about something, could the tank vent be plugged ? Could the gas cap be non functioning and not letting air in to replace the fuel used ? And another possible, on every dang Ford I have that has sat for a few years, that blasted filter sock on the pickup tube in the tank has literally melted into a solid blob. My Bear is currently not getting any fuel out of the tank for this reason. Took the gas cap off and blew 185 psi down the line starting at the fuel pump to frame hose and nothing. Couldn't even hear a gurgle at the filler hole. I see the writing on the wall here so I ordered ten filter socks from Dennis Carpenter ( Part Number D1Az-9AO11-A ). Same thing happened to my Cyclone. On that spread-bore intake, pull the carb and EGR plate then dig around in the carbon in the intake until you find a drilled passage where the exhaust gasses enter under the egr plate. A couple of welsh plugs shaped like miniature freeze plugs driven into that drilled passage removes the egr from any questions. Make sure that the egr plate has no holes or erosion at the gasket sealing surfaces then top it off with a spread bore Holley no smaller than a 600 cfm. Carb will run much cooler with that egr plugged.

4. handy_andy_cv64

I kind of figured on the EGR, but I never thought to drive a plug into the passage. The surfaces top and bottom are good, I made sure the better one went on, plus new gaskets top and bottom. As for the sock, yeah, the original one was split and the float looks like it corroded on a miniature ocean beach. I'll take and post a pic. We swapped pickups between the cars, the one in the Bear is the one from the '76 LTD, and it only had the core of the sock on it! So yeah, I'll have Joe order a goodly amount of those, from Carpenter, and I'll see if Green Sales, up in Ohio, also has any. So today, I'm replacing three things: the carb filter, the rubber lines at all points, and since I found one at the collector yard, a clean pump-to-carb line. I hope it fits.

5. handy_andy_cv64

Also, I'm on the hunt for a Holley spreadbore; I let one get away last year for $250 bucks because we didn't have the money to get it.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Okay, so yesterday, I replaced the fuel filter (even though the old one still could flow), replaced the pump-to-filter line from the return-equipped line to a non-return one from a '78, aaaand something else.......

When Joe got off work, we hopped in and took it for a long drive, and about 20 minutes in, it began to drop out, as if the gas was still boiling and vapor-locking. And especially when we'd make a right turn, it would stumble and die whether the trans was in D or N. Of course, the poor starter wouldn't crank unless we left it to cool with the hood up.

Also, I checked curb and low idle speeds--810 to 820 curb, 600 drive.

7. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Just an FYI. I believe a '77-'79 T-bird uses the exact same clip on it's headlight door actuators. That said, it would be easier to order them from NPD(Mustang wiper linkage clip), no searching and their new. Hope this helps.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Thank you. I will give them a checkout.

9. Hillbilly

Gonna' get some weird stuff until you get a new sock filter in the tank. The durn things act sorta; like a reservoir especially during turns as the fuel piles up away from the pickup tube. That new line from the pump to the filter, it can not touch anything. Not the steering pump or a/c brackets or the head. If it touches anything engine heat will cause that vaporlock aggravation. Another quirk about those hated 4300 carbs, when you had the top off the carb did you notice a small spring on a stem toward the back bottom of the float chamber ? If you unscrew that entire part you will find a vacume operated brass plunger. This thing serves as the power valve. If the bore the plunger fits into isn't super clean it can bind up as the carb body heats up and expands. As the power valve provides over 50% of the enrichment due to funky accelerator pumps, it nearly has to be fully functional for the engine to run smoothly even at slower speeds. Me thinks you are starting to see why the 4300 get's tossed and a Holley ends up in it's place.

10. handy_andy_cv64

I couldn't agree more. Since I'll be pulling the carb to plug the intake exhaust passage and install a new choke stove for the choke t-stat, I'll go ahead and check on the 'power valve.' We're also going to see if a newer-design sock made for EFI will fit, as it's larger overall. The only concerns I would have is that it fits the line snugly, and not hinder the pickup's placement in the tank. Since it's larger, it logically should last longer also.

11. Hillbilly

Those socks are designed to be interference fits on 3/8's inch tubing. Most Mopars and Camaros had that size line in that era and can substitute their socks in a pinch. They look a little different but do the same job. The sock needs to almost touch the bottom of the tank when installed or you will run out of fuel before the guage shows empty. Nearly all efi socks have a larger inlet tube diameter and will be positioned wrong inside the tank. A good parts house will have a book with photos and measurements you can compare.

12. handy_andy_cv64

We have the other sender from the LTD tank in it right now, so the old one is in the garage. I'm going to test-fit it first; if it doesn't fit, I'll return it, get the ones from Dennis Carpenter.