Ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Rancherous, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Just wondering if anyone has seen any .22 rimfire ammo in the whole country? The only thing I can find locally is Gold Plated target ammo at 25.00 for 20 rounds? Bought my son his first rifle and cant even shoot it with him. Looks like I will be waiting in line this Wednesday at Gander Mountain at 6AM when the truck rolls in. They actually give out numbers every Wed. morning like Black Friday at Christmas time. :rolleyes:

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Cheaper than dirt has boxes of 50 22 long rifle for $23.17 in stock.
    Not exactly a bargain, but they do have them.

3. Rancherous

Yes I can get that stuff as well but that is going to be damn expensive to teach my son and plink around with. Thats about the same price as my ammo for my handgun. When I go to the indoor range around here its about 67 bucks an hour. Its been too damn cold to shoot outdoors lately. I pay 17 for range time and 50 in ammo (2 boxes, 100 rounds). Luckily my wife got me a gift card for Christmas to the range so its been free so far :D

4. ribald1

Maybe you should consider getting into reloading (not rimfire!).
    Here in CA if they find you with 5000 rounds of ammo it will make the news, but if you have the materials to reload 20,000, they don't bat an eye.
    Anyway, considering the direction your local Gestapo is going, limiting ammunition purchases to 10 rounds at a time is likely just around the corner.

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Only one place here has any .22 and they think it's gold plated. Glad I was buying bricks of various ammo for the last few years. I'd love to go plinking but I'm just, no fully, scared I won't be able to replace it. Plenty various 12 guage shot shells available but fat lot of good that is if you want to check a scope's alignment on a rifle. Squirrell season is opening soon, only heard two shots nearby during the juvenile hunt this weekend. I guess when the adult hunt opens in two weeks I'll see if anyone is willing to part with their stashes.
    I'm thinking the woods will be fairly quiet. The oldtimers warned me this was going to happen, glad I didn't laugh at them.

6. Rancherous

It does not bother me paying for ammo for my handgun as its not really a recreational shooter, I just hit the range occasionally in the winter months to keep in practice. I bought the .22 as the recreational shooter and now I am questioning my decision. I believe a lot of the governments Ammo hoard was in .22 rimfire as a lot of the agencies use that as a practice round. They use like the .22 AR 15s instead of the full version to train with. I know the Government pays top dollar for anything they buy so the ammo manufacturers made a Huge Profit by dumping most rounds to them. Man if you had a crystal ball you would have bought stock in the Ammo companies and made a nice chunk of change.

7. Kev250R

Kev250R In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Here in So.Cal. Ammo is also hard to find, a friend recently bought the last two boxes of shotgun shells from a local gun store the other day. I'm driving to Tucson this weekend and am wondering if stores in Arizona have any more inventory then we do here in the land of fruits and nuts.

Kevin

8. Rancherous

Kev,
    Shotgun shells by the case here if you want them even local Wal Marts have shells in stock. Our problem is rifle rounds. I live right by the largest Local Gun store in the area and faithfully call every morning to see if the got any 22 rounds in because I can be there in 5 minutes, they receive multiple trucks every day because they sell a ton of guns and ammo, not a single round in over a week. I may Black Friday camp out around 6am tomorrow morning at my local Gander Mountain and try my luck. Talked to the manager and she said they MAY get some in. Two weeks ago they got some Buckets of .22 in but last week they got no .22 at all so its a crap shoot. Im off this week so maybe I will give it a try.

9. Rancherous

Well I called Gander Mountain and they said they are not getting in .22 tomorrow so I wont be camping out :D Called another place and found some but 8 bucks a box for 50. I guess its better than nothing or the 20-25 for the Gold Plated pro target stuff.

10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Well, at least you can get some idea about where the gun shoots while using the cheaper stuff. Due to a more random powder grain count you'll loose some consistency between each shot but still give you somewhat of a baseline of what to expect. The higher priced shells should have more "umph" and allow you to increase the distance to the target and give better shot groupings. After you're comfortable that you've found all the gun can give go ahead and waste a box of the good stuff just so you'll know where it really shoots.

11. Rancherous

Actually there were only 40 per box probably a nickel a round stuff for 20 cents each :D Just going to dial the gun in with my son at about 25 yards at first and plink a couple cans. 200 rounds wont last long. I was going to buy more but they limited it to 5 boxes a customer and only had 5 more left in stock after I bought mine.

Just looking at some places its not really a bad price for this ammo its about 18 cants a round on average, so I dont think its the junk I thought, still not great stuff but not bad and gets good reviews. Full brass hollow point.

12. Rancherous

Anybody having any better luck with ammo?? Seems like some stuff is starting to come back in stock at the local gun shops but not .22 still anywhere.

13. ribald1

With the DHS purchasing more ammo than the military, and the military has not reduced it's purchases, it will be scarce for a while.

14. Kev250R

Kev250R In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I stopped at a place in Tucson called 'Sportsman's Paradise' which seemed to be like a Bass Pro Shops; very large with lots of outdoor gear and a large firearm section in the rear of the store.

All of their ammunition was sitting on shelves and at first I thought I'd be able to get everything I wanted, but as I got closer I realized that most of what they had on their shelves was ammo for what I would call odd-ball weapons. Things like 7mm. I saw no 9mm ammo, no .22, .38 or .357 They did have a nice selection of shotgun shells.

Kevin

15. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Deja Vu all over again - ammunition in virtually all popular calibers is scarce at most vendors I've used in the past, and prices have more than doubled over the last six months for about everything.

16. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

It Be best to stock up, Buy Buy Buy!!!

Ain`t gittin no cheaper that`s fer sure,
    Dennis

17. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

These companies are making money hand over fist.

Hillbilly likes this.