Are 1970/1971 Ranchero's Really The Same?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 210eddiep, May 24, 2014.

1. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

I started to put this in Ranchero General Help but it probably belongs here. What are the differences between the two years , not talking about 500, gt or squire, difference's like the speedo cluster?

Does anybody know any more? I know a couple of more. I bet Hillbilly knows every little difference.:)

2. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

hood option, turn signals on front different color, grills

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Mostly grill and trim treatments - most everything else, particularly the principal sheet metal and mechanical parts, cross between those two years.

4. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I'm pretty sure the 71s had interior LED ambient lighting whereas the 70s used candles.

HuevosRanchero and Hillbilly like this.
  5. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

The speedo for one starts at 5mph the other at 10mph, seat cover pattern different between the two, and the armrest pads are shorter on one

6. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

No but that sure needs fixin:thumbup:

7. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

smog/vapor recovery, gas cap, fuel fill neck, gas tank or sending unit ?

8. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

I believe you're right about that. I know my 71 has the vapor canister.

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Eddie, California 70 could have the vapor can too. It's the little stuff that was different between them as the basic sheetmetal and running gear are identical. Even at that I seriously doubt that even two of them came out identical off the assembly lines, things were more hand done then and variances were the rule back then. Ever notice the difference in how far from the front of the door the outside mirror is positioned ?

10. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

I knew that the sheetmetal and running gear were the same. Nope, didn't know the mirrors weren't positioned the same. Don't keep us in suspense what's the difference? Why would Ford make such difference's between supposedly same cars ?

11. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It was a better idea.

12. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

That's funny! Its a better idea starting one speedo at 5 and the other at 10 ROFL

13. Hillbilly

The list of odd differences is too long for me to remember quickly. I strongly suspect most of the changes were attempts to preserve a few engineer's job security. The grill changes I can see to identify at a glance what year you have, the others, well they only produced more part numbers and gave said engineers something to say they had been productive. Them guys got the evil eye from the beancounters too. Say, lookit' here, them shorter armrest bases and pads fit Maverics, Montegos, Falcons, etc. We done got a huge stockpile of them shorties, use them ! A few changes actually made sense. Going from an overly complicated heater core and water valve with three pipes like on the 70 to the simpler two pipe core and valve on a 71 A/C equipped Ranchero really did make sense. They saved the price of an extra hose and clamps, the valve and core were cheaper to make, and the grunts on the assembly line could whip out another Ranchero a few seconds quicker. Move the mirrors ? Just to make more part numbers. Amber front park lenses ? You could then use a cheaper bulb there. You get the idea.
    Put two 70's or 71's side by side and you'll find different fastners in a lot of places. The accuracy of where mounting points and screw holes are located varies from one Ranchero to the next. Just be glad if you have all the screws in your's cause plenty came with a bunch of fastners missing. Blame the bean counters !

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  14. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

All of the above. The 70 gas cap will only fit a 70, while a 71 will fit a 67-69 and 71. Stupid Ford.

15. Hillbilly

Max, you must have driven a 70 or 71 at night. A little dust and older lightbulbs pretty much canceled seeing the dash except when you were way out in the country away from much light. I had a 70 torino Cobra that was an oddball in that it came with a Cyclone Mercury dash with the tach and guages in the pad on the passenger side. It was pitiful enough at night that I got mad and threw away all the blue bulb caps and put in 194na bulbs. It made a world of difference in seeing the speedo and guages in city driving.

16. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member