Best Intake and 4 barrel carb for stock 351M

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jesus R., Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Third Gear

What up fam hope everyone's been well and your trucks are performing excellent. I rebuild my carburetor about a year ago and it's still my stock 2 Barrel, been giving me a little bit of problems and just wanted to really get me a four-barrel carb. What will be the best carb and intake, I'm usually just using that for the street hauling stuff around town.

2. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Third Gear

I have been flooring it from time to time, and burning a bit of tire LOL. Besides that the carburetor was so smooth for the last year, just wanted a little bit more performance

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

A 4bbl won't give you better performance unless your existing carb is too small.
    If sized properly, it will give you a little better throttle response and fuel economy.

Jesus R. likes this.
  4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Many people will say the the stock Ford Autolite 4100 four barrel (1.08 venturis for small block, 1.12 for big block) is one of the best for the street. Edelbrock 500- 750 cfm would be another good choice, depending on your engine size. Lots of folks will say 'get a Holley', but I've never had good luck with them. Any aftermarket aluminum intake would save many pounds off your front suspension vs the stock cast iron version.

Jesus R. likes this.
  5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

^^^What he said. Frankly, though, if you get a new one, and a manifold that has the GM mounting, a Quadrajet is a good all-around carb, using small primaries for excellent idle and part-throttle cruise MPGs, with the large secondaries for waking the engine up. If you do put the intake and four-barrel on, you may want to get a cam and lifters that would take advantage of the induction upgrade, and replace the timing chain and gears if they're original or high-mileage.

Jesus R. likes this.
  6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I Am pretty sure have a Vintage SP2P Edelbrock Manifold down in the shop in my swap meet inventory

Jesus R. likes this.
  7. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Third Gear

Sorry or the late reply fam, i been so busy with work i did not even ride my truck this last 2 weeks :/. It does have a 2 barrel autolite factory carb. Finally called my mechanic and he will work on it soon. So is it better to get the cam and lifters while im at it? Just want to do the right thing

8. handy_andy_cv64

If it's gonna be apart, might as well do everything at one time, why I pulled Babe's engine and resealed it; if I had been angling to make more power, I would also have done that on the stand.

Jesus R. likes this.
  9. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Third Gear

Thank u andy, im gonna make sure i do the right thing. Going to treat her right, cause she been good since day one. My pops birthday is on 4th of july, and i wamt to give my truck to him. Im gonna miss her, but he is inlove with it that i think i should

10. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Third Gear

He just lost his truck, and he did not look happy. He is a farmer so i knw he will be rolling in style

11. handy_andy_cv64

A farmer? You'd better find a set of steer horns for it, then!

Jesus R. likes this.
  12. Jesus R.

Jesus R. In Third Gear

he will look like a real farmer with the horns lol thanks for everything guys i will keep u guys posted.