Body Work - The Day Of Reckoning Has Arrived

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by bscottie, Jun 14, 2015.

1. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

well I have had the Ranchero for 4 years and 1 month now, the first year I had it I did a quick sanding job, slapped some bondo on and sprayed it with some cheap primer, last summer I hit with another coat of even cheaper primer. I have finally finished all the other projects, finished gathering parts, finished coming up with any more good excuses not to get the body done, I have even searched for a viable candidate for a donor body but due to the amount of work needed and the cost it wasn't meant to be. I started last Saturday with the tear down and stripping all the parts, still have hood, doors, and windshield and the back glass. I started on my drivers side since that's where I slathered on more than a gallon of bondo, hard stuff but found that my wood chisel really knocks off the chunks. this weekend I started on the other side, I beat and banged for a while and finally concluded that I was going to have to replace some metal or just load it up with filler, went and got me some better tin snips and more cut off wheels in preparation for the task, after some searching on the ole internet I found a whole rear orner, after about a minute of thinking about it I went ahead and jumped on it. This is going to be a major undertaking for my ol garage and put a test to my skills and patience. I would like to end up with something between a 5 to 10 footer:) of course I have all the tools and materials to make it as clean and straight as much as my patience will hold out. I am going to Hot August Nights and will be picking more paint and supplies up then, I hope to be able to at least be ready for a coat of primer by then. I don't have a clue how long this is going to take but would be nice if I can be back driving before the winter rain starts. I will post some picts along the way for progress, heres where I am at now.

the front
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't know if there was a vin number for sure on the body, here it is and I was glad to see mine matched

[​IMG]

Driver side where I took the bondo back out, a few small pieces of rust, will still need some filler but not and inch or more

[​IMG]

2. bscottie

heres the bad side - this is going to be a mojor challenge, my welding skills aren't great but that's what they make grinders for. LOL

[​IMG]

I have saved all the pieces and chunks so far

[​IMG]

HuevosRanchero and DonC like this.
  3. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I like your saving the old bondo for posterity.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I didn't save it, but I pried a chunk of bondo off my driver bedside that was over 2" thick in spots. Thing is, it was done so well, you really couldn't tell, unless you tapped on it.. 'thud'. What I did save from my resto is one and a half 5-gallon buckets full of concrete that I chipped off the bottom. Seems the PO (and I'm guessing the first PO) drove into a new road of wet cement, like in the movies. The good news was concrete seems to be a great preservative. Where I'd pop a big piece loose, the factory primer/paint was pristine.

5. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

I need to start the body work on my Ranchero as well. Ugh I am not looking forward to it. I look forward to your progress as inspiration :)

Laters,
    Jeff

6. bscottie

well a little more progress, trying to get all the metal cut away before I start any welding, today the big step, I am committed at this point

marking where to cut

[​IMG]

just a little intimidating knowing how much welding will be involved, but most of the bad is gone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Can I assume the inner bedside panel was toast as well?

8. dave r

dave r In Second Gear

I would say your committed now! It's funny how the years go by with projects. I got my title out to get a plate for mine and it's been 9 1/2 years and never been driven.

9. bscottie

@Sean

inside was ok, the replacement I found was cut like I have it, figured I would go all in

TestDummy likes this.
  10. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

You are a brave man Bill.Iam not a body tech,but damn!Stop by,I got a can of heat sink goop you can have.Maybe help with fit up welds.Worst senero,flat bed chero!First one on your block..

TestDummy likes this.
  11. bscottie

the thought of a flatbed actually crossed my mind. LOL I believe it might actually look cool, would definitely make people look and ask when they saw it.

I'm fortunate that I had the oppuritunity to raise a teenager, my patience has grown through those years, still gonna be a challenge but Im ready for it,

besides, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and watched a video on you tube. :D

12. bscottie

more work today, top is sanded about 80% complete

[​IMG]

more cut from the passenger side, after a hour or more of getting the body filler off and seeing what is left I had to cut it out, it also made getting the wheel well back to close resemblance to being the shape it should be, wish I would have gotten a before shot, pretty happy how it turned out because it was not pretty to start

[​IMG]

hard to see in the pictured but this thing is beat to hell and full of holes

[​IMG]

13. bscottie

cut some of the rust out of the bed and cleaned the rest of the area at the cab, I think I am gonna get a cheap sandblaster to hit this ara with to try and either blow through the rust or clean it petty good. overall Im pretty happy with the progress, also got most of the rest of the passenger side bed sanded through the first layer with the 50 grit, got a few more areas to go and then I will got to some 80 to smooth things out. my current goal is to have everything ready to start welding July 4th weekend, hope all goes well,

[​IMG]

also cut out one of the bad sections of the bed, sure wish I had a plasma cutter

[​IMG]

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  14. bscottie

some progress this weekend, and some more cutting holes and cutting away bad metal, not sure what I'm going to do with some of it, I sure can't see cutting away too much more. Something about welding good prevents too much grinding, I caused myself some grief with being aggressive with grinding down the welds, Lesson Learned.

I did get the corner back on. The section at the wheel well was a PITA, lots of angles to try and line up but I'm happy where I ended up, still more welding

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bscottie

another piece of rust gone and another hole to patch

[​IMG]

I just couldn't do much with the one strip of metal, too many holes and too beat so I cut more off at the wheel well

[​IMG]

I have a good size section in the bed on the drivers side to replace, sucky part is the side has to be cut out and the piece at the front that I would weld to is rusty and no good metal, not sure what will happen here just yet

[​IMG]

this is going to be hard to fix

[​IMG]

and even more fun in the storage area

[​IMG]

16. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I use the 'easy grind' wire with sheet metal. It not only welds at a lower temp, but is easier to take down without shrinking the adjoining metal during grinding.

17. bscottie

well I am using some .025, wish I could blame the welder, the wire or something but as a newbie I'm giving it hell. LOL the outside of the bed will be the last thing I do, hopefully by time I'm done with all the other areas my skills will have improved. I also have some .023 and some .024 to try, will see what I can use the best.

18. ribald1

It's not the size, it is the type of wire.
    In my opinion, once the easy grind is tried on sheet metal a person will never want to go back to regular wire.

19. bscottie

Haven't found this yet, got a source?

20. ribald1

Welding supply places have it. I will get back to you later today with the brand and # of what I use.