Callintg airford...

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by *RD*, Jan 2, 2013.

1. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

Hey airford and guys, so over the weekend I picked up a 15gal aluminum fuel cell for the ranchero. I was wondering if you were running a fuel cell in your truck, and how you mounted it in the bed or if you mounted it under the truck in the stock tank location. Pics would be very nice, I want to mount mine towards the front of the bed but I would like a second opinion before I did anything. Well let me know.

2. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

[​IMG]

I mounted a 15 gallon tank under the bed along with two batterys in back. I really like them out of the way. I will post some pictures from the bottom this weekend.

3. *RD*

That looks really nice I may have to consider doing it that way. If it is not a problem post up some pics this weekend from the underside if you don't mind.

4. airford1

I will , the car is up on jack stands most of the time. The weight transfer is important in your case and I really haven't thought about what differance it would make if the weight was up in the bed (above the axle ) or under the bed like mine.

5. airford1

OK I took some pictures and I guess I need a drink because they were too blurry.
    The old tank was removed and I welded two cross bars of square tubing between the old mount. Thats where the fuel cell mounts. Flat bar front to back on top from square tube to square tube and that is the same place that the strapes bolt in to hold the tank up. Had to put aluminum safety shield around the tank and bolted that to the same place as the tank, really simple and easy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  6. airford1

[​IMG]

Side shoot of tank and cover.
    [​IMG]

OH well you get the idea.

7. *RD*

Thanks airford thinking I'm going to do it your way, the nice thing about the way you did it is you still have full use of your bed and you also get the good weight distribution. Also I know that you said you weilded two pieces of steel on the stock tank mount did you use the strap kits they sell for the fuel cells or make your own kit? Also considering there is a inch drop between the stock mount under the bed did you fabercate a sleeve between the cell and bed or did you just leave the gap as the cell doesn't mount up flush with the bottom of the bed? Well thanks for the help.

8. airford1

The cell mounts flush to the old mount level and the square tubing is welded in between the old mounts. The srtaps were standard that came with the cell. Not that hard to do.

9. *RD*

Just what I thought going to get it done this week thanks for the photos and help. :)