Clearance lights on a topper on my 1977 Wiring.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Rancherestorer19, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Rancherestorer19

Rancherestorer19 In Fourth Gear

Hey guys I have no hitch or trailer wiring on my '77 Ranchero GT, I have a Topper and it has clearance lights on it, but I don't know where I should draw power from for them. it has a weird 6 pin connector up toward the cab. Is there something I am missing here? Where did that plug into? or do I need to wire something up? If that is the case I need something coming off of my park lights and left/right turn signal. There is also a battery hot that needs to go to the door so that when it is open the dome light at the top of the cargo area in the topper can come on. do I just need to run new wires off of these? Where should I get the power.. What is the best way to go about this?

I am a Journeyman Electrician, so I can definitely do some wiring if I need to.
    The top connector is what the one coming off of the topper looks like, but I have no connector on the truck for it.
    [​IMG]
    Where do I need to tap into to get my hot connections for the lights?

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The running lights will be connected to the trucks running/parking light circuit. So, one of those wires on the pigtail should be matched to the parking light circuit. As for the other wires, black is ground, so that and perhaps the green wire can be used for the lights.

3. Rancherestorer19

:-( Oh it's a mess. I just was testing this. I was assuming the sheilded was the ground, no it's not. the 6th pin for some reason is going to the brake light in the middle of the top. I am just going to get my jumper battery pack and start testing each connection to figure out where they go and write them down. I wish people would label things, but I think someone wired this at home or something. That also makes the most sense because there is no connector like that coming from the Ranchero.

4. Rancherestorer19

well okay. after some testing I figured out what goes where. It seems completely random wired, almost like someone did in fact just wire it up however they saw fit, but it does look somewhat descent. As far as the wiring job goes. Here's what I have found on it. This makes no sense at all, why would they shield the Brake light not the ground? I expected that to be the ground, it is the only one isolated.
    [​IMG]

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Don't understand why a separate brake wire, turn & brake are the same unless you have amber rear turn signals.

6. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

There's a reason why folks refer to DPO's - Damned Previous Owners.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Sophie our Cheros are easy, only three wires to the rear lights, brown= tail lights & tag, green= right turn & brake, yellow= left turn & brake, if you have back up lights it would be a light green wire.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Shield is not really a shield its a locating lug to keep it from plugged in in the wrong direction

Its that way for the CHMSL

9. Rancherestorer19

Okay.. so I was under the impression that the Ambers were clearance lights. this is not good because my Ranchero only has 2 red lights on the back for Tail, Brake, and Turn. Is there a way I can convert them over to the 2 Yellows so that the Yellows on the Topper only come on when the turn signals come on? or is that not possible. I am thinking on it, but I don't see a way I can do this so that both of the AMbers do not come on with the brake lights. Okay I have a thought. What if I make an electronic circuit so that it will cancel the Ambers using a NAND gate so that when both Brake lights come on, the Ambers have no power. I would have to wire up a seperate relay for each of the Ambers, But I think it can be done. NAND stands for "Not And" In other words if both outputs are 1 (high) the output will be 0 (low) if 1 input is 1 (high) then the output will be high. If both outputs are 0 (low) The output will be low. Does anyone have a better idea or a ready made device I can connect similar to this rather than making my own? The Clearance lights are LED, they have been replaced from the originals by the DPO (damned Previous Owner) in fact I don't think the topper originally had lights on it at all, they were placed on and drilled in. I just want them to come on because it looks weird when none of them work. I called the (DPO) and he said he didn't know. "Nice answer right"...

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member