Computer Building

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by parts4me, Mar 5, 2016.

1. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Does anyone on here build or have built their own computer for use? I've finally gotten around to building one and wondered if anyone around here has any experience.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Yup, bunches of them. What are you looking to do?

3. parts4me

Looking to build one mainly for gaming purposes, I have a nice laptop already that can do everything else.
    My main question would probably on how high of a graphics card is a good range for the price you would spend.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I have built many computers also.
    Depends on the gaming.
    If you want a game like Fallout 4 to run right, you are looking at a Radeon R9 380 or better and a solid state hard drive.
    Without knowing your MB and exact use, specific recommendations are hard.
    Long term, though, one is best off getting a good MB and processor and the mid level of the current graphics cards. That is because graphics cards are still evolving quickly so a high end card will end up obsolete as fast as a mid level card.
    For any serious gaming the solid state hard drive is a requirement, along with at least 8 gigs of memory.
    If your funds are limited I would recommend getting a quality MB and memory along with an SSD, then putting a low end I5 in it with the goal of going to an I7 later.
    Most games do very well with an I5 and a 200 series R9 card. There are a few, though, like F4 that won't be happy with it.
    What is your budget?

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I don't know beans about gaming ... but if you ever might want to run linux on it, then it would be wise to choose an Nvidia card. And 2nd the advice to get a SSD drive.

6. parts4me

I was looking into a EVGA Superclocked + ACX 2.0 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5 graphics card along with a solid state with a 1 TB hard drive combo. I already have 8GB of DDR3 ram to use as well.

7. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

not bleeding edge but I prefer AMD apus with 4 cores for cpu processing and 8 for the Radeon graphics. Add another Radeon in the box for Crossfire mode and crunch some serious graphics for peanuts. 2nd the SSD for the OS. Heat is the enemy, make sure the box has plenty of fan expansion or water cooling if you're really flush with cash...I'm not. All about bang for the buck for me. Plus I hate intel almost as much as I hate Apple.

8. parts4me

Well all of this stuff is on its way
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Side-Panel Window
    Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151
    Deepcool Captain 360 360MM CPU Liquid Cooler
    MSI Z170A Gaming Pro CARBON ATX w/ Programmable Lighting, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2
    8GB (4GBx2) DDR4/2800MHz Dual Channel Memory
    EVGA Superclocked + ACX 2.0 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
    800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
    240GB Intel 535 SSD + 1TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo
    24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
    AeroCool Touch-1000 Fans Control
    Maximum Airflow with 140mm Thermaltake Riing 14 Series High Static Pressure 140mm Case/Radiator Fan

So we will see how it all works together and functions.

9. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Did you get one of them keyboards with which to type stuff too?

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

[Doc Brown] "Keyboards? With what we're doing, we don't need keyboards...." *pulls VR visor down over eyes*

ForistellFord likes this.
  11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks like a decent setup.
    The SSD is a bit small, you want your operating system and your games to be on it so it will fill up fast.
    8G for memory is pretty much the lower limit for serious gaming, but you can upgrade that later.

12. parts4me

That's the plan.