Construction Question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Sep 25, 2015.

1. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Careful with those trees! I speak from unfortunate experience... :(

TestDummy likes this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

There was, but instead of an 'X', it was a 4x4 holding up some stairs.

3. TestDummy

If there is even a slight chance I could damage my house, shed, whatever, I'm bringing in a professional. Cost me $900 last year to remove two big ones that were leaning over my house. I thought it was a bargain.
    Check out this crazy bastard.
    [​IMG]

4. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Wow!!! Crazy. I had dropped hundreds of trees and used to impress my son's on my accuracy in dropping them...until that last one: 4 weeks in hospital, loss of right arm (I was right handed) and now on SS disability (Argh!)...kinda funny because I was a physical therapist and had treated several such injuries before, ha!

TestDummy likes this.
  5. TestDummy

Sorry Randy. All it takes in life is one second to change everything. At least your not dead, right? This tree guy has fallen out of trees, cut his arm in three places, and still climbs like a monkey.

6. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

the Guy could have found a lower branch to hang himself...

TestDummy likes this.
  7. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

I have a single tree in my front ward that has decided to take a ~30% angle towards my house. Not half as big as yours Sean, but if I don't get it taken care of the now, the 1st snowfall will bring it in my front window. Even small branches and limbs can cause damage to the house and also to the amatueur tree cutter. I guess I am just glad I don't have several dozen trees bordering my house, although they are great for shade and decrease utility bills (air conditioning that is). Good Luck.

8. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Shit happens.

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Wow ! I thought we had the nuts corralled over here in the tree business but Sean proves it to be common everywhere. Dangerous job ! Sean, keep this in mind - - A tree will have roots that in most cases extend as far as the canopy goes away from the trunk. Research whatever variety tree you want to plant as some trees like Memossas have the ability to search out your fieldlines over 50 feet away. Forget Bradford Pears too as they have too short a lifespan.

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

He's only crazy if he saws behind himself.

11. TestDummy

And flows downhill.

12. TestDummy

That branch was directly above our bedroom, and had dropped hundreds of acorns on the roof over the years (they sound like bowling balls in the middle of the night). Dennis, the tree guy, walked out there and cut about 2/3 through the limb, until it folded down, the then backed up about 3 feet and did it again, and again, and again, until he was at the trunk. He then cut the whole articulated thing off to fall 60' straight down. One of the most amazing things I've seen a person do. Talented, for sure. Here's more. This is how he got to the top of the trees, and the 'branch' he tied his lifeline to. I'd have gone bigger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

So, after the steps are fixed are you going to paint ? :D

14. TestDummy

:confused: Are you referring to the hideous color of my house?

ForistellFord likes this.
  15. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Well ...no,not really, but :D

ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  16. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I said that once too, Rob, but he said he actually painted it that color on purpose after he moved it. Something about how it matches with the lemon trim or something.

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Ok. Our tree guys finally got rich enough to buy a similar crane truck. Didn't think your guy used lineman rigs to get up there but a few still do it the hard way. Sean, after first hand tornado experience I think it might be prudent to do a bit of simple triangulation and take out any trees than can possibly reach your house. The loss of shade sucks but the peace of mind knowing you'll not find a tree across your house is worth the difference in a/c cost. Love my trees but I don't want to find one in the living room after a storm. Tornado Crap 020.jpg Tornado Crap 020.jpg Tornado Crap 002.jpg

18. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Tornadoes happen. Very rare to have one inflict damage on your own property, and no way to avoid damage if it happens again. Sure, you remove any trees within falling distance, but next time the twister will just dump a semi in your living room. Try to outwit God and stuff like that happens! :cool:

Hillbilly likes this.
  19. TestDummy

Good advice, but not really needed. I've been removing trees, a couple at a time each year, for that reason.

Hillbilly likes this.
  20. TestDummy

Sorry, I would never paint a house green. Funny thing is, the PO painted it just before listing it for sale. If he would have told me he was selling the house, I would have told him to hold off on the painting and bought it for the same price. It's gross, but I'm too lazy to repaint. I'll do siding, eventually.