Digital Instrument Cluster for a 69?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Boiler92, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I just saw this video and thought it was too cool. I don't think the company Dakota Digital has a solution for the 68/69's though.

Does anyone else that you know of?

2. Boiler92

Dakota Digital got back to me. They don't offer a replacement cluster as standard but can do a custom one if I send them a donor. Approximately $1,200 and 7 to 8 months lead time. That's too rich for me.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. super green dog

super green dog In Third Gear

Boiler - interesting & yes, expensive. I'm also getting very close to going through and redoing the entire interior of my 69 and that includes the gauge cluster. I have a clock which doesn't
    work, want to add a tach, (as I recently installed a top loader ) with also an oil pressure, temp, and volt gauge. (not idiot lights...). Did Dakota Digital indicate that they might have other 'workable' options that might do the trick (i.e. have circular displays of similar diameter w a classic look that would fit in a 68-69 dash? I've not yet priced out have a reputable shop to rework my OEM gauges - but, am thinking its not going to be cheap. Appreciate sharing whatever else you might have... Or, suggestions/input from anyone who has recently gone through this...

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I just had my factory Cluster and clock refurbished by Instrument Specialties... was about half that. And looks like new.

Boiler92 likes this.
  6. Boiler92

Here's what Dakota sent me:

Thank you for contacting Dakota Digital about your project vehicle!

Unfortunately we do not offer a direct-replacement instrument kit for your vehicle at this time. However, we do offer a series of universal instrument packages which you may choose to mount on your own, or have us build a one-off custom system into a gauge cluster which you’d provide.

If you send in your original bezel/gauge housing (or one out of a donor vehicle), our Custom Shop could build a custom set of gauges directly into those original parts.
    Any reconditioning (paint, chrome, etc.) should done before sending the housing in to us. This will ensure that you do not need to disassemble the cluster once the work has been completed.

A typical VFD3 (full digital) 6-gauge custom build starts at $1,200, while a VHX (Analog) 6-gauge variation will begin at $1,600.
    A 50% deposit is required upon receipt of the bezel(s) and project initiation, with the remaining balance due prior to shipment.
    The current Custom Shop lead time is approximately 7-8 months.

Here is a link to the Customs page on our website, showing some examples and further specifications:
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=product&product_id=214&category_id=-1&mode=prod

Additionally, here is a link to the Universal instrument systems and individual gauges on our website, if you’d rather customize your dash to accommodate an existing product:
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=69/mode=cat/cat69.htm
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=70/mode=cat/cat70.htm
    This tends to be a great option, allowing you to save both time and money by using a standard production product.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions!

7. super green dog

super green dog In Third Gear

Boiler - thanks for the additional info & links - I'll go through DD's offerings...

Pony - good to hear from you and hope the 428 is running strong! Thanks for the video clip. Did IS refinish the actual housing as well as the cluster gauges? Was this just for the 3 pod cluster or did they do the clock as well? And, while I'm thinking about it - did you get a new PCB and clear lens covers for everything? (I know there is or, used to be... aftermarket suppliers of those items...)
    Appreciate the info!

8. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Instrument Specialties cleaned, repainted, and refurbished the lights, dials, of the three pod cluster. Including calibrated the speedo and gas gauge. The Clock was converted to digital using the original face and hands. New lenses. My dash lights even have blue shielding so the lights show blue to the cluster. Those were cleaned and/or refurbished. They also redyed my dash, visors, Arm Rests, and horn pad. Horn pad included new wood grain.

They do pretty much the same thing as DD, you send them the pieces, they tell you how much its going to cost. For me, IS was only wanted 1/3 down. But when you are talking Cleveland's, not much difference between 1/3 and 1/2.

Interior after Instrument Specialties - YouTube