Drum brakes

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Curtis, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Is there a good tutorial on here for replacing rear drum brakes and axle wheel seals?

2. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

AutoRestoMod on YouTube has a couple good videos on it plus heaps more on old Ford repairs and upgrades.

Lincolnut likes this.
  3. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Also ask old timers (like me) who has done many, many brake shoe and seal replacement we can help
    But it may take some "total recall" to bring it back to the frontal lobe

4. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Good time to upgrade to rear disc brakes? Did my '75 Ranchero GT a few years back. Recently did my '02 Ford Ranger.

Amazing how long I've driven on non-functional rear drum brakes without knowing it.

5. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Got the brakes on. Had to get both drums turned. Still having issues with one of them. Going to take it back off ( little too tight) and possible have it turned again. The other side fit fine. While I was at it I pulled the axles and looked at the splines for damage. The passenger side is a little rough looking. I have never noticed noise coming from it though. I was thinking about finding a used axle or new for it. Any thoughts? Also while in there I looked at the bearings and seals. The seals on both sides have started to leak a little. When I look them up I find two different seals designs. One is a cupped design like the one on mine. But it says it is for a set 20 bearing. [​IMG]What is a set 20 bearing for? The bearings in mine are the conical tapered shaped ones. Every where I look it shows bearings like this for it. [​IMG]