Electrical

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Mikey likes it, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Mikey likes it

Mikey likes it In First Gear

Just starting a 1962 project. Anyone have wisdom to share on patching up the wiring system vs new harness or other approach?

2. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It depends on what you plan to do with the whole project. I have used new harnesses with all the factory plugs in the past which is the way to go if you plan to keep the car basically stock and have the money to spend. Places like M&H will make factory harnesses for most cars. I have also done a wiring kit with the upgraded fuse block, fuses, flashers, etc. which is also very nice as each wire is labeled, color coded, and is so nice to work with because none of the wires are brittle like an original harness. Going that route can be time consuming because you pretty much have to run each wire one at a time, fish the rear light harness through the quarter panel, etc. The trick there is to connect the new wires to the old and pull it all through. Anyway, if you are planning to add gauges, a tach, rear brake light, electronic ignition, etc. the make your own wiring kit would be the way to go. Hardest part was hooking up the existing wiring from the steering column and factory dash to the new kit. It took some research and some creative wiring but in the end it worked out great.

I don't recommend patching an existing harness because the original wires are old and brittle. Hard to work with.

3. Mikey likes it

thanks, this is not a high end project, intend to stay basically stock, sounds like a kit is the better route. Any suggestion how/where to shop?

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I used a kit from Autowire (I think :confused:) and like cbolt said, it's just time consuming, not too expensive.

5. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I would shop by number of circuits. I suspect most of the wiring kits are roughly the same. I went with a Ron Francis kit and got really good customer support when I called with questions and needed a different kit due to having dual headlights vs. single headlights.

6. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

62 Falcon Wiring Diagram 62wiring.jpg

7. Mikey likes it

Thanks all for the input, every bit helps :)