Exhaust Upgrade:

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by AimlessMoto, Apr 7, 2015.

1. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

I think I've come up with a short term fix/experiment.

My muffler is on its way out, it's crushed and rusted... but my Y pipe and tail pipe are decent enough to weld to, no holes, and not brittle.

I'm going to pick up a cheap chambered muffler and install it in-place of the stocker, run the stock tail pipe over the axle... chop it off a couple inches behind the axle where it straightens out, and dump a 45 degree tip out behind the rear wheel.

Hoping to clean up the 3 feet of rusty pipe hanging off the back of the car, and get a little noise.

For $40 and a couple hours, it'll let me know if I should invest any big money in a full system.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

So, I was able to fiddle with the exhaust a bit....

Put on a Thrush Chambered/Welded muffler, and hacked out the tail pipe to do a nice turn-out. Welded it all up and....

It sounds weak.

It sounds like a tired old truck... so, the next step will be to do a full custom exhaust 2.5 inches with a couple of Flowmaster 40's from the headers back.

At least I got to practice MIG welding exhaust pipe... not as bad as everyone says... just not pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

LOOKING GOOD MIDAS MAN

4. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

5. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

sound may not be what you want but it's good work none the less. Will definitely tie you over while you work on other things.

6. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

The H-pipe will also increase your gas mileage. Hung a system without the H... got 15.5 MPG open road.... went back and put the H-pipe in... Quieter! Smoother!, 18 MPG!!! Do the 'extra' work!! It's worth it!

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The end of the exhaust pipe has a significant impact on how it sounds.
    Take a 1' piece of 3" pipe, bell it down and temporarily hook it to the end of your tailpipe and you will see (hear) it for yourself.
    You can also note how common the large diameter tailpipe ends are on ricers as they try to make it sound like they have a real engine in the car.
    The last 2' of the exhaust and the muffler are the only significant players in how a car sounds other than at WOT.
    The larger the diameter (to a point), and the straighter, the last 2' is, the deeper the sound.

8. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

I think the plan is to go with dual welded mufflers, H pipe, and some sort of 3" over-axle exhaust straight out the back under the bumper. It will give me the "trombone" effect of longer and wider pipe giving a lower tone.

I'm happy with it as it stands, it's not obnoxious, but sounds like a truck.

9. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

you did a better job than i can do. i dont have a lift either.