Ford, does size matter? Design team boredom?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by jwarden, Jul 29, 2015.

1. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

I have wondered why Ford (as well as others) seems to have trouble figuring out what size of car (truck) to make. With the Ranchero they start out with a regular size sedan, then change to the Falcon series for a few years and then gradually start using a larger body frame for design. Maybe Sean or someone closer to Detroit understands this. Is it trying to find the "right sellers" market, or is it design boredom? I for one am kind of glad they did it, since it gives a wider variety of "cheros" to choose from. Ford seemed to do the same thing to the Thunderbird, and also the Mustang. I know for the most part anything is done to try to get a bigger share of the market. As usual, a simplistic thread from a simple mind.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Actually the started out on the full size platform 57-59 in 60 the went to the Falcon and by 67 ford knew the Falcon was going to be dropped in 2 years so the went to the Fairlane/Torino line (same "frame" as Falcon) then it stayed with the Fairlane/Torino until the end....

3. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

I thought the Fairlane/Torino line was a larger frame, maybe the "body" seemed bigger. The Mustang seemed to grow in size, the 64-66 Mustangs "seemed" to be smaller than the late 60's, early 70s models. Again maybe same frame but broader, bigger body. The Thunderbird evolved in to much larger version than the original , which from my recollection was a two seater in 1955.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The Torino was Ford's midsize car.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just remember, "Coke bottle meets 2-Liter bottle!"

6. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

70 falcon was a rebadged torino after a mid-year change.