Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by brawleyw, Jul 27, 2014.

1. brawleyw

brawleyw In First Gear

I am not sure the fuel tank in my 1971 Ranchero is repairable so looking for suggestions on where to find a replacement. Does any one know the dimensions of the tank or if one for another model Ford will fit?

Thanks

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Slap in a 32-gallon Bronco tank, and you'll have some real range!:D

3. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

Good Luck finding a gas tank. It took me years. I put a fuel cell in the bed to use until I found a tank. I found tanks down south or out west, I just couldn't find anyone that would ship one. I got lucky years later and found a clean one within driving distance and bought that.

4. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

They do make new tanks for Fairlane, Comet, Torino, Mustang ect. The Ranchero tank is basically a drop in tank turned upside down with different filler ,vent holes ect. It would be very simple for the company that makes the fairlane tanks to modify a tank to fit a Ranchero. Maybe if a few people contact Spectra Fuel Tanks they would make Ranchero tanks.

http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html

5. JKG-R500

JKG-R500 In Third Gear

If push comes to shove, a tank coating is available and can be applied with a little bit of elbow grease. The coating can be had from most motorcycle shops, complete with instructions, including to ..."clean the tank..." which should go without saying. Have the tank dipped, in a non-acid solution, then pressure checked for pin holes at your local radiator shop. There is at least one national-known parts house that sells the coating but their instructions are just a tad lacking.

6. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

I was quoted $350 to clean & coat my tank, with no warranty. For that much $ I just put in a aluminum fuel cell in the bed, and it wont leak for a long time coming.

7. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Had the tank in my ranchero cleaned and coated a few years ago
    A truck radiator shop did it for $125

Will probably have to do it again soon----left it sitting with about 1/2 tank for obout 2 years.
    pretty new sending unit pretty much rotted away.

8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Of the three 70-71 tanks I had, one was good. I gave one, years ago, to a guy who had it cleaned and coated. Cost him like $150, sort of what Bryan got done.

9. Felipe

Felipe In Third Gear

I just replaced my tank in my '79. I think I paid $130 to PartsTrain.com but there were numerous outfits that sold it for about the same amount. I just a Google search and I got loads of hits. The fuel sending unit was a different story. Only one company had it. It was ClassicCarAutoParts.com that had it. Your Ranchero is older, so best of luck.