Getting paid from Ebay and Paypal

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 65restomod, Jan 19, 2021.

1. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

This is why I only sell on facebook anymore. Do it through paypal as goods and services that way the buyer trusts me cause he is covered. Super easy.

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Well it's about flippin' time! 43 days and I have been paid. And what an improvement over the old system. After another phone call with a tech reading from a script, I noticed that my original name I registered with on feePay years ago did not match the characters on my bank account. Still me, still the same name, the orientation was different. So I asked the tech about it. "Well, we can try it" was the answer. Well, it worked. I have listed another item to see how it goes and maybe I can get back to some sort of normal. For an upgrade, that sure was painful.

65restomod likes this.
  3. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Wow! what a experience, hope next sale goes better

4. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

I stopped selling on eBay many years ago due to listing fees,Reserve fee & the percentage they take from the sale.

I have had Facebook groups for years I have a General Group that is all inclusive
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1968to79FoMoCoClub/?ref=share

Also a Classified Group specifically for
    72-79 Ranchero plus the 72-76 Gran Torino ,77-79 LTD II counter part as well as 74-76 Ford Elite,72-79 Mercury Montego, 77-79 Ford Thunderbird & Mercury Montego.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TorinoGranTorinoRancheroParts4SALE/?ref=share
    There is also Facebook Marketplace which is totally free to list.
    I'm on the Ranchero Facebook group as well as Gran Torino and Torino related Groups so there is plenty of places I can list parts that will be seen by owners who are looking.
    I have PayPal Mastercard Debit Card and thats it,close bank account years ago as never used it and can spend my PayPal money anyway with the PayPal Mastercard including the Post Office to pay the shipping costs.

Now that eBay has done this I will never sell on there ever.
    I can Negotiate in private with Facebook Messenger and I just list and sell for what I want or sometimes list for " Or Best Offer" and Negotiate with buyers.

Yes it's nice when you get people bidding against each other on eBay and drive the price up more then what you would accept but No way I would give eBay access to a bank account and why I have PayPal Mastercard Debit Card

100% of sales goes into my pocket no fees

5. Rods N Restos

if your not on Facebook you should be.
    Your missing out on deals as a buyer and lots of sales for parts your trying to sell.
    There is a Ranchero Facebook group that includes 57-79 Ranchero so all years are included.
    There is other groups like mine that include the 72-79 Ranchero and groups for the car counterparts like the Falcon based Ranchero,Fairlane and also the Early Torino based Ranchero so there are several groups to list parts as well as Ford Classified groups.
    You don't need to be on their to socialize with Friends & Family but I do but I focus all my 95% of my time on the Vehicle groups and I sell parts all the time for years for 72-76 Ranchero or Gran Torino.
    I rarely come here as I run my own Facebook groups so I have to be there.

Handy Andy knows as he is on my Facebook group.
    I rather deal with a owner then let eBay auction with just a screenname that has no personal identity.
    You see most of these members on daily basis but I get paid upfront and I have never screwed anybody out of what they bought and insure their package when I ship and stuff I buy I get from members I see on the groups frequently.
    Anyway its a great source to sell parts and even vehicles

6. Jeff B

Interesting about the FB marketplace. How are disputes handled? On eBay I have good feedback and am careful with descriptions, packing and shipping. I also would rather keep the percentage that eBay charges in my pocket.

7. Rods N Restos

Jeff B I only buy Local on FB Marketplace where I'm dealing cash in person

Some members of the Facebook Ranchero Group or groups like mine that includes 68-71 Torino/Ranchero ,72-76 Gran Torino/Ranchero and the 77-79 LTDII/Ranchero list their parts on Marketplace.
    Some use a screen name but 80-90% use their actual Real name.
    I'm Jeff Mikuletzky feel free to join Facebook then join my groups which are Private groups so only Members can view the posts on my groups.
    If you list parts for sale it has a Sales Format and people can automatically message you privately without being your Facebook friend.
    on Regular posts they can only comment on the post.
    If you have any questions on who to buy from just ask me as I know hundreds of people on Facebook and there are 4-5 guys that just buy cars to sell or part out.
    one of them bought out the eBay seller you may have seen with the high priced parts JamesHook502.

James sold Rob Sloan his whole Torino, Gran Torino & Ranchero collection from whole vehicles to parts and Rob moved them to his place in Oregon.
    When I sell I use PayPal and if you want to pay a fee you send as a Sale or Invoice and you still get the PayPal buyer Protection.
    I normally tell them to send as Friend & Family so I don't get charged the PayPal fee but its only been $2-4 on $1-200 purchases so If I wanted I could have them send as a Sale.
    If they insist on having the Buyer Protection and don trust me I add the PP fee to the sale so when they pay it comes out on my end but they paid the extra for it so I still get My total plus the shipping cost.
    I send a Private Message with photo of receipt with the Tracking Number and have the item ready to ship before payment as I have to box and weigh it to get shipping quote online so its just a matter of sealing box and adding address so if it's early in day it sometimes ships same day or next if its past 4pm.
    I have a post office 5 minutes away and 90% parts I ship is through USPS Priority Mail as it provides $50 insurance and its only few dollars more for additional insurance.
    I sent one package of 74 Gran Torino Sport emblems I restored for a member of my group $450 insurance and you will be lucky to find replacements but at least they had a decent insurance value and he got them fine but I was protected if USPS lost the Package or Damaged it.

I have been on Facebook since 2009 and selling parts since 2010 and not have had 1 issue in 11 years.
    I have heard others getting screwed but I always ask for detailed photos with close up of any damage or rust and I always ask for PayPal or they have to send Postal Money Order in mail prior to me shipping.

I just make sure I provide plenty of detailed photos before taking payment and I provide tracking number soon as I ship cause I value my reputation as an Honest and Fair Priced Parts Seller.

Anybody with shady deals we Blacklist and ask Admins to remove them as a member of their group if they don't resolve disputes within 20-30 days.
    I'm on several groups for Gran Torinos so I know most of the Admins and they are member of my Group too.
    The 72-79 Gran Torino/Ranchero Community is a small niche in Classic Vehicles so after awhile you hear of certain bad apples and who are the Go to Guys for parts.
    I have a Network of FB friends that sell parts and covers from East Coast- West Coast of America so we know who to recommend to members looking and find the closest seller to the buyer for the big items like sheet metal body panels that are too expensive to ship

Sorry for the novel but just wanted you to have the knowledge on how to sell on Facebook.
    Last time I sold on eBay was around 2014 and not paid a dime to list items on Facebook ever

8. Jeff B

Jeff, this is all great info and I will take some time to see what I can make of FB marketplace. I am on FB. I buy and sell parts and tools or anything else I can otherwise flip so I have to see where I fit in. Sometimes it's Ranchero items, sometimes not. I think for me it is what I have become used to on eBay and have not taken the time to branch out.
    Thanks for taking the time to educate me and others who might be interested.
    Jeff

9. Rods N Restos

I do suggest if you join Facebook use your real First and Last name, put photos of your Ranchero on your profile as Admins look for that if they don't have the Questionnaire at the Member Request.
    Facebook added Question option a year or so ago but not everyone answers them.
    I encourage you or others joining FB Groups to answer membership questions and agree to group rules as it speeds Admins ability to approve your Request as we use to check every Profile prior but that is what the photo of Ranchero on your profile is for.
    Add your Town where you live to your Profile also as that helps to distinguish you from Spammers or Shady Characters.
    Once you get approved by a few Facebook groups then others with similar groups that may not have the Question see the other groups your a member of and that helps with them approving you to their group as many of us with Groups are on the other Groups but I have the questions when you request to join and they are write in so "yes" for an answer sets off my Radar as its not a correct answer

Well Good Luck and if you join let me know and I'll do what I can to help you out but tell you the Truth there is NO better source then the Facebook Groups for parts sales

Here is the link for the Ranchero FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFordRancheroPage/?ref=share

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I dunno if R&R said it, but a good feature of FB MP is that it will list what pages you're associated with, to see if you want to post your ad to any of them.

11. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I just signed up wit FB yesterday to sell a jack and all was good until several hours later .
    FB said I had to post a pic. of my ugly face to continue. I found out this is a newer protocol to weed out spammers ( Russia etc.) and this was after posting the jack on MP and doing some scrolling.
    I really didn't want to join social mainstream media.

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm not on FB; normally I only sell on Craigslist, with no issues. But I got stiffed today by a CL buyer; first time in 10 years. The buyer sounded sincere, but never showed up. I left phone messages and checked my email, and no response. My feeling now is that the more people use social media selling, the more scammers have fun with you.

So I re-listed & raised my price $50 to cover my frustration. If it sells, OK; if it doesn't, OK too.