He's a joker a smoker a mid-night toker

Discussion in 'This Whacky World' started by RANCHEROROB, Jun 7, 2013.

1. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

but it makes you smart and creative and.................:D

PHILADELPHIA – A felon who was allegedly high while operating demolition equipment when a downtown building collapsed and killed six people will be charged with involuntary manslaughter, a top city official said Friday.
    Sean Benschop, 42, faces six manslaughter counts along with six counts of risking a catastrophe, six counts of reckless endangerment and other charges, Deputy Mayor Everett Gillison told The Associated Press.
    Authorities believe Benschop had been using an excavator Wednesday when what was left of the four-story building gave way and fell on top of a neighboring Salvation Army thrift store, killing two employees and four customers, and injuring 13 others.
    A toxicology report showed "evidence that he was high" on marijuana, Gillison said. That finding, combined with witness statements and evidence from the scene, led to the decision Friday to raid his North Philadelphia home and later seek an arrest warrant, he said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/0...pennsylvania-building-collapse/#ixzz2VaZVavzx

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

And out of everything that was wrong in that sad situation, Fox and you decide to put the focus on marijuana. Had the thrift store adjacent been evacuated as required this wouldn't even be a story. Shit happens, probably more often than not on jackleg demolition jobs.

Legalization is coming -- get braced for it if you are really worried. Colorado and Washington seem not to have self-destructed yet. And there are now a bunch of states with legal medical mj -- and no panics from those either.

I hope I'm not the only one here who can see how ridiculously biased this reporting is; they start out by immediately describing him as a felon, as if that had some bearing on how well he could run his machinery -- while 'allegedly' high. Take a look in your dictionary for 'scapegoat' -- that's what this guy's new name will be.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Well being "high" has a lot of bearing on how well he could run his machinery. Just as if he had been drinking would have a bearing.
    I would bet the contractor will be charged also.

Sorry BB yes I did smoke dope in my younger days and know people that still do. I not agree that dope enhances your reactions. I know you have stated in the past that you do not think dope impairs you abilities to drive an such, but that is the same excuse that alkies use to justify their behavior.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The fairy tales about performing better, or even as well, after drinking or using drugs has a long history.
    Clint Eastwood even made a movie about a guy that couldn't shoot unless he was drunk, and couldn't miss if he was.
    Adults recognize fantasy.
    Drugs and alcohol lower your ability to self assess. As a result one thinks they are doing better than they actually are.
    And Carl is right.
    The arguments used by pot users are identical to the ones alcoholics use.
    That is NOT a coincidence.

5. RANCHEROROB

burninbush, Fox and you decide to put the focus on marijuana
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Right, Me and Fox. Well as they say...... "We Report, You Decide"
    For the record burninbush, that was not really a fox article. It was from Associated Press.

Here it is from a more reliable source, "The Newspaper of Record"
    (snip)
    Mr. Benschop, who also goes by the name Kary Roberts, has been arrested at least 11 times since 1994 on charges relating to drugs, theft and weapons possession, according to court records.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/us/pennsylvania-worker-sought-in-demolition-deaths.html?_r=0

Sean Benschop
    http://cbsphilly.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/benschop_sean-dl.jpg

6. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Do ya'll remember two or three years ago when a commuter train around LA ran into the rear end of another train, killing a few people and injuring many more? Didn't they determine that the engineer on that train was high?

7. ribald1

You claiming pot users are more likely to get 'rear ended'?:p
    That sure would explain San Francisco!:eek:

8. Denny

Oops! I looked it up, and the reason for that crash is believed to be that the engineer was too busy sending text messages to see the signals. Never mind.:eek:
    I must be thinking about another incident, but I can't remember where. Hmmmm....maybe if I smoked a joint it would come back to me.

9. RANCHEROROB

I must be thinking about another incident,
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Maybe you were thinking about that RTD Bus that fliped over on the freeway because the driver was on cocaine.
    as burninbush said "shit happens"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  10. Denny

Yeah, until it happens to a member of his family. Do you think it might make a difference then?

11. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You know I have no issue with people using pot, as long as they do not operate equipment, operate a plant or any other thing that can hurt others. I can't imagine having a high plant operator or equipment operator. Just too damn dangerous. If they want to design software so be it, but probably why these damn computers crash all of the time and program patches are required on a regular basis. The pot head programers just forget the important stuff. I do know of people that can function better than others on the stuff but for the most part otherwise intelligent people are idiots while smoking pot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  12. RANCHEROROB

Nope, he is too far gone. :D

13. rwitt

rwitt In Maximum Overdrive

I think your exactly right BB. It's not the guy running the machinery, I think the problem is the machinery. Maybe we would be better off if we banned certain kinds of machinery. Then this kind of thing wouldn't happen. ;)

14. burninbush

Dunno how you got that from what I wrote.

And in the news today, another state (Vermont) has just OK'ed recreational marijuana. Sadly, the usual crowd is again on the dumb side of an issue. Better stay home, just to be safe.

15. ribald1

Good old reliable BB.
    You can count on him soldiering on until the end of his days in his quest to prove by personal example that pot causes mental illness.
    You have to applaud that kind of fortitude.

16. rwitt

rwitt In Maximum Overdrive

Evidently your too stoned to figure out where I was going. Put down the stupid joint and rest a few brain cells.

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Boy, what a can O' worms this issue can be. I find it odd that in my close peer group ( somewhere around 300 different people ) since the mid 60's only the folks who confined their favorite poision to smoking pot were the only ones with no auto accidents. The drinkers and downer abusers were the worst of the lot with the speed freaks and coke heads trailing not far behind. Only the devout pot heads had blemish free driving records. Go figure ? I have no idea if this group was a fortunate blip on the screen or if this trend is universal. Mix other drugs with the pot and things went astray quickly for my friends. Even coffee.

18. burninbush

Matches my experience. I can sum it up in a short sentence: when you've just sucked-down some fresh nor-Cal hydro weed, what you desire is smooth, not jerky. If the situation requires that you do something innately jerky, then you must somehow contrive a way to turn it into performance art, a dance. I pity the fools who don't know my muse.

From the reports, the suspect is a guy you would not let drive your car, let alone a demolition machine. Hard to imagine a reputable company hiring him for anything. And at the same time, it's hard for me to imagine a store keeper staying open for business while that sort of work was going on. It was fucked-up all around.

19. RANCHEROROB

20. ribald1

You have to be careful with this kind of generalization.
    Passive people are more attracted to pot than aggressive people, and passive people are generally safer drivers.
    In my industry, construction, pot is the most likely drug to be found in a worker after a workplace injury. It is also the most common drug found in people arrested for a crime.
    In truth, any drug can be safely used if the conditions and dose are correct, and in certain specific situations. Methamphetamine in small doses improves driving skills by increasing awareness and reaction time, that is hardly an argument for allowing unrestricted over the counter sale of the drug.
    Drug addicts, like BB, have to devise rationalizations for their activity, otherwise they would be forced to face their problem.