Hose identification, please.

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Shane Carsjens, May 26, 2021.

1. Shane Carsjens

Shane Carsjens In First Gear

I purchased this 1974 Ford Ranchero 500 with 120,000 miles off of my wife's uncle for $3,000. It was just sitting in his mother's driveway collecting dust and I wanted a truck, so I jumped on the purchase.

I just need to know where the outlined hose in the image connects to; thanks in advance, guys, I've asked around locally and no one can figure it out.

1974 Ford Ranchero 500
    351c - 2 Barrel

Everything is stock as far as I can tell besides the exhaust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That hose is for the Thermactor system; the visible end attaches to the valve that is a one-way valve allowing pressurized air into the exhaust passages in the cylinder heads. The other end is supposed to couple to a dump valve bolted to the Thermactor's air pump.

Shane Carsjens likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

Can you take a picture of the passenger front corner of the engine, looking angled downward?

4. Shane Carsjens

Thank you for that information and yes, I actually have a picture already, let me find that real quick.

5. Shane Carsjens

I'm guessing it goes here then? It is the only open hose spot I've seen so far, haven't had the car long, but I wasn't about to put a hose on something unless I was sure. If you're right, I owe you big time!

[​IMG]

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I see the belt is off, quite often the pump has locked up, I wouldn't bother replacing it. You could just remove the hose and the pump. It will run just the same.

7. Shane Carsjens

Sounds good to me, I'll go ahead and do that then if, in fact, the pump has locked up, which I'm sure it has. Thanks man.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah the hose doesn't go there, but a hose goes between it and the dump valve. I forgot, on the Clevelands, the valve is mounted up next to and a bit behind the alternator. I may still have the old valve off my '74's engine, somewhere. As far as component removal, you'll need to verify the valve doesn't leak. If it does, it's a possible problem in the cab, if the gases are sucked in. I've sealed them by leaving a two to three inch piece of hose on the valve, then stuffing a fat bolt in the cut end, putting another clamp on. If it doesn't, you don't have anything to worry about.

9. Shane Carsjens

I'm gonna look into this as soon as I get the car back from the shop! Thanks for all of this valuable information. Man, I landed in the right spot for sure; probably need more information as time goes.

Buds 67 likes this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

That's what we're here for, helping each other and grooving on what we have.

Buds 67 and Shane Carsjens like this.