Interior paint

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by willy12844, May 28, 2013.

1. willy12844

willy12844 In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

Can y'all tell me where I might look to find what the interior paint ID or name is, I have a 1967 Ranchero and need to do some interior painting.
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  3. Andy McElhaney

Andy McElhaney In Third Gear

I wanted to do a little painting on the interior of my 72 IH pickup and wanted it to match. I took the ashtray to a local auto paint supply store. They used a hand held scanner that looked like a code reader in the grocery store, put it to the ashtray and pulled the trigger. It gave them a code that they mixed up. Matched the rest of my interior exactly! I think the exact match was that it matched my time worn paint.

4. willy12844

Andy, Was it one of the national auto paint store's like Metro, Keytone, or O'rielly's? It would breat ide good to know. That's a great idea.

5. Andy McElhaney

Andy McElhaney In Third Gear

It was not a national store Willy. Place called South Auto Paints in Palmdale, CA. They are a dealer for Martin-Seynour (spelling?) automotive paints. Not sure if the scanner was dealer supplied or not.

6. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

IMHO, An automotive paint and supply store would be your best bet for color AND sheen match. I went through this about a year ago, so I know what you're going through. Also a lot of the interior paint Ford used was metallic and/or semi-gloss. Todd

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

All the auto paint stores that I know of around here have those scanners.
    Used in conjunction with paint chips, they get it right on, or very close.
    For an interior, very close is more than good enough.
    On the exterior I have a small batch made and shoot 1/2 the fuel door, and go back and have adjustments made as needed.

8. willy12844

interiornpaint

Do any of these paint houses put the paint in spray can? I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

9. ribald1

An auto paint store can, a parts store usually can't.

10. Lord Snow

Lord Snow In Fourth Gear

There is always the option of a fairly cheap gravity fed spray gun from your local hardware store.

11. ribald1

A can of custom spray paint can cost $20-50. For a small job that can be taken care of with one can that is cheaper than the cost of the minimum paint mix, reducer, catalyst, mixing cup, and solvents to clean the gun.
    The time alone for preparation and cleaning the gun exceeds the cost of a custom can.