KYB Shocks...

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by drlance, Nov 19, 2009.

1. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

I am in need of new shocks for the beast and just simply do not like Monroe Shocks! I would prefer Gabriel Gas Shocks but can't find a dealer near me. (Not that mail order is bad) But I can get KYB Gas-a-just shocks through our local Federated parts house!
    Has anyone installed these? Do you have to take them out and adjust them 5-6 times to get the right feel or can it be done with the instruction sheet and only 'a-just' them 1-2 times?
    Just wondering other people's experience with them.

Lance

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Gas-a-just shocks are non adjustable......Great shocks in my opinion I have ran them for years....in every car I have owned...yes I like them!

3. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Same here ...on my cars and trucks, excellent shocks

4. Lovinmy74

Lovinmy74 In Maximum Overdrive

I like mine, car handles great.

[​IMG]

5. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Thanks guys!!
    Lance

6. TomH

TomH In Third Gear

Where did you get your coil springs, I want a pair for my 74, 429TJ
    tomH

7. HarryRanchero

HarryRanchero In Third Gear

Probably too late now, but...

... Yes, Monroe's are shit! Let's get that straight first!

Secondly, Gabriel is NOT what they use to be back in the day when I sold them, and used them, and everything from a 1963 1/2 "427" Galaxie daily driver, to a then "new" 1974 F 250 4x4 Factory "High Boy". In 1985, I worked for Super Shops Automotive Performance Centers. You may recall them if you are old enough like me. We were according to Gabriel, their #1 Sales Dealer in the world! (With mostly "punk" 18 year old kids as sales men. I was an old guy, I was 29!)

I later came across KYB shocks. They were GREAT on a VW squareback in the desert with an occassional "X-wind" that would blind side you. Put them on a 1971 Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet Mustang and they were GREAT on taking desert dips at 85 mph plus! Then I put them on a 1966 V8 Mustang Coupe, and thought they were "defective"! The car rode rougher than a "cob"! You could get the year of a dime they were SOOOOOO rigid.

I then later represented a company called Carrera Shocks. The owner had been an engineer for Gabriel, and Gabriel "tossed" the plans for this shock. He bought the rights to them, and I think today they are QA1? perhaps. Carrera's were awesome, but "pricey".

Next I had experience with Tokico "Blues". We took OFF the replacement KYB's I had on my company vehicle (a 1995 Astro Van), and put on the the Tokico "Blues". WOW! I drove it on the rack to install them, and I drove it off the rack, and I tell you I could tell the difference between the brands that quick. I then drove down a street called the "El Camino Real" in Santa Clara. For those of you who are in that area, you may remember they did a lot of "liquid asphalt dripping" on the cement cracks on the road at taht time. We are talking 1995 to 1999. With the KYB's it rode like a tank, and with the Tokico's "Blues", it was the difference of night and day! I was shocked. I had a 125K on that vehicle, and I knew the road feel of it pretty damn well in those 4 years.

That encouraged me to try Tokico's "Illumina" line, and at the time, they were the only "other" brand besides Koni, that had an adjustable front strut for a "3rd Gen F-Body". Again... WOW!

Interestingly enough, at the time, I had "2" Z28's (3rd Gen's). Both had modified suspension bushings, advanced control arms, pan hard bars, etc. But... I could "feel" the difference in the cars in cornering and "ride quality". Koni's were a bit more rough and "scary".

Interestingly enough, Tokico MAKES shocks for most older Fords... even Ranchero's! For how long this inventory is going to be available, I have no idea. Generally, when a shock application can not be used for a more current year model, then they scrape the part, or... sell to someone who will get Mfg. List PLUS 10%, because they have it and they are obsolete.

For most Ranchero's even though there are alot with 351's, it still is a LOT of weight. KYB makes the compression stroke so resistant, that is why they can potentially ride "stiff" to the end user.

Until I had experienced the Tokico "blues" on my own vehicle that I drove daily, I would have NEVER believed there could be THAT big a difference in ride quality.

If you Google Tokico shocks, they are all mostly sold by "Ricer" type shops, but... who gives a shit if you can get the deal! Also, there are some great deals on them on line with "Free Shipping", so... again... what the hell! IF I remember correctly, as of the first of the year, or a bit later, they were averaging about $37.00 each. For a GREAT shock, that ain't shit! For a Monroe, that is paying way TOO much for SHIT!

Sorry for the long story, but it is as it happened fellows (and "Lady"!)

Xinorok likes this.
  8. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

And I thought I was the only one with long stories....:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the "research" updates. With all the reboxing and Chinese importing caused by falling prices, it's hard to know what you're getting. If only Edelbrock would make shocks for Rancheros; Vic says all his parts are made in the USA! :cool:JD

9. HarryRanchero

HarryRanchero In Third Gear

I bought a set...

... of the Edelbrock shocks for my 1997 C1500 2 wd ext. cab. I felt so good about the purchase until, after the install, that first test drive... I was driving down the same frontage road by my home to get to the freeway, and I thought... "My God, has the town re-paved it WORSE??? NOT possible!" They had not done a thing to it. It was the same.

My son, my g/f, and others have commented on how "spooky" the truck feels on the Freeway in freeway/bridge points in the lane, and how high the truck "bounces"! Almost like it has NO shocks on it like John Candy in "Uncle Buck" in his Marquis!

After the purchase and the sad discovery ( I was REALLY pisseed because I was going to buy Tokico's, but thought "NO! Buy American!") that the product was no better than a Monroe in my opinion. If you craiglook.com the Edelbrock shocks, you sure see a lot for sale. Most people do not go to the trouble of taking shocks off to sell(???).

Wish I had done that research before I bought them.

If you have a buddy you want to get rid of, let him know there is a killer deal available for him for his Chevy truck like mine. I'll GLADY ship them free, and sell all 4 for $130.00! (or less!)

Thanks for the reply.

10. BioPunk

BioPunk In First Gear

I realize this thread is long dead but I would love to get some more information about these Tokico shocks. I've got a 75 ranchero squire with the massive 460 and I'm looking for an upgrade from what I believe are stock springs. I've also got a 2k mile road trip to look forward to in the near future where I plan to put about 1000lbs in the bed and pull a small 8' trailer with another ~1000lbs. If anyone has any more information on these Tokico's or wants to chime in on an air shock (Gabriel?) I would really appreciate the input.

Cheers

11. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

I went with the KYB shocks.... Been VERY happy ever since installing them!!!
    Car rides and handles GREAT!

12. BioPunk

BioPunk In First Gear

I finally got under there over the weekend to see what the damage was and what I would have to do to change out my shocks. To my surprise I've actually got air shocks down there, just the access joint to fill them up was hidden conspicously out of sight behind the rear bumper. I attempted to fill them up at the gas station and I heard the bed creaking but in the end it just wouldn't hold any pressure.

I suspect that the line itself might be damaged (it was wound in there rather precariously) but I won't know till I get in there again. My chero has factory tow hitch which indicates to me that I've got the whole tow package but I don't exactly know what that entails since there is no wiring back there for a connector. Could the shocks be stock; were air shocks a stock option at this time and if so what make/model could they be?

13. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

Kyb Gr-2

have these on the ranchero. work great. didnt have funds for the gas a adjust at the time.
    had gas adjust on mustang and those worked great too. i put those thru hell.