Looking for parts info 1964 Ranchero

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ric, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Ric

Ric In First Gear

Bought a ‘64, now looking to do some upgrades. Looking at 4 wheel disc conversion with a power booster. Must fit 15” wheels.
    I’ve seen the kits for 2 wheel with and without the new master. The kits seem pricey, I’m wondering if you are paying for the convenience of having everything all at once. Some of the power boosters (separate) say they won’t fit, is that because of the bracing going to the firewall and shock tower? So I’d need a modified Monte Carlo bar?
    So- looking for advice, OEM #s for brake booster and whatever else you guys might think of that I don’t know.
    It’s a ‘64 with a 289 and four speed.

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Cool car; congratulations. I've done the front disc brake conversion (although mine are manual brakes) and it's a big improvement over drums. I really don't see the need for rear discs, unless you just want to spend the money. I believe I've heard that a smaller booster, like 6" or 7" is available, other wise you'll probably need the export brace for clearance.

I'm very happy with the place I got my brakes, the price is reasonable, and the guy always answers phone calls or emails:
    http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/discbrakepowersteering/discbrakeconversions.html

3. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I'm with Beerbelly-manual brakes and discs on the front, 15" wheels. Pretty happy with that set up.

4. Ric

Ric In First Gear

Thanks much! Will check it out.

5. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Part of what you're paying for is to get everything at once, but a bigger part is that you are paying for a known, integrated system with parts that work together. You can probably do it with OEM parts for less, but that takes time. For my '67 F250, there were no kits for an eight-lug, so I had to piece it together. There should be disc/drum kits for a Falcon or Mustang that you can find readily. For me, it comes down to whether I have more time or money when I have a project.

Joseph

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I put 4 wheel disc on my 64 Falcon Sprint, non-power, and you certainly DON'T need big legs to make it stop.

7. Ric

Ric In First Gear

That’s what I want to do, what did you use? Kit? Separates?

8. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Rod & Custom Mustang II w/modified metric calipers, and Wilwood 4 piston rear. Master Power supplied the master cylinder to fit.

9. Ric

Ric In First Gear

Thanks for the info. I’ll check it out.