M7 Metric Bolts

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by parts4me, Aug 18, 2016.

1. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Is it just me or is it impossible to find allen head stainless steel M7 metric size bolts? I can't find them anywhere in town and can't find them online either. If anyone has a good source please post it up. Thanks.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

3. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

If you can't find it on McMaster-Carr site, they don't make it.

4. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Have you tried places like fasten all
    Or sasco.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Fastenall's the only one I found that carries non-standard metric size fasteners.

6. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

7. ribald1

8. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

I went to Fastenall today and they didn't have any at their hubs........
    I had found all of those on Ebay but I am so used to picking up bolts locally that I hate paying a premium for them.

9. ribald1

You could always change over to a normal bolt size and ditch that communist metric crap.

10. MaxInValrico

Ben Franklin was hardly communist.

11. ribald1

The decimal system makes sense for things one has to count, like money, as our number system is decimal, and we have 10 fingers and thumbs.
    That is logical and reasonable, and what Mr. Franklin, among others proposed for our monetary system, and it was approved.
    It was the French, and the Germans who came up with the idea that if decimal was good for counting, it is good for everything else.

As I said, decimal is good for counting as it is a natural extension of our on board counting system, our hands.
    Decimal measurements are unnatural and abstract as there is no connection to human proportions and actions. As a result it is counter intuitive, cumbersome, and much more prone to error.
    Even in machining metric is problematic. As the correct system is based on whole numbers and ratios (fractions) all possible combinations are easily achieved using gearing as the gear ratio and the fraction need only match each other. With metric you have to do calculations and accept an approximation in most cases. That is why the pitch of almost any metric thread is not metric, it is a non standard SAE.

A square peg has uses, but a round hole is not one of them.

12. ribald1

I should add, that true metric machining equipment does exist. It uses complex gearing with base 10 ratios. Every change of operation requires that the gears be changed, they are not very popular.

13. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

14. MaxInValrico

The metric system is base 10. Just like your hands and fingers. The metric system of measurement is no less cumbersome or prone to error that any other system and in many ways is far more logical than the English system. Example: Water freezes at 0 degrees C, not 32 F and boils at 100 degrees C, not 212 F.

The metric system is based upon whole numbers no different than SAE and is far easier to convert up and down in scale than fractions. Want to convert to a larger unit? Divide by 10. Want to convert to smaller unit, multiply by 10. Want to convert inches to feet? Divide by 12. How is that logical?

As for fasteners, the more that the auto supply chain is consolidated to use universal measurements, the less SAE will be used since the entire planet uses the metric system, except us.

15. ribald1

Max, first of all we do use the metric system and it has been sanctioned by our government.
    There are other countries that flat out don't use the system.
    The reason this country is different is that we lack a tyrannical government forcing us to it's will.
    I called it a communist system for a reason. It is the favored system of totalitarians and dictators.
    It is no accident that when people are allowed to chose, as they are here, that they chose to use measurements based on hands, feet and stride rather than some arbitrary system.
    Also, Why did you pick Celsius and imply that it is 'the' metric system for measuring temperature? Do you have any idea just how many different metric temperature standards exist? Water doesn't boil at 100 degrees kelvin, does it? So much for simplifying things.

16. bigears

bigears In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Pleased we are metric here :) way easier system to use could never get my head around fractions ...........
    I got a little of both metrication started here (New Zealand) in 1969 and was completed or became law in 1976 so the changeover took place in
    my teenage years although until very recent times I converted back some to better understand ie miles to the gallon I understood
    however I've always brought fuel in Liters. I'm now comfortable with the standard Liters pr 1oo kilometers my Ford Ranger is running at 10.1 Liters of fuel per 100 Kilometers ......................

In 2006, three countries did not mainly use the metric system: the United States, Burma, and Liberia o_O

The metric system has been officially sanctioned for use in the United States since 1866 signed into law by President Andrew Johnson, but the US remains the only industrialized country that has not adopted the metric system as its official system of measurement

On 23 December 1975, President Gerald Ford signed Public Law 94-168, the Metric Conversion Act of 1975. This act declares a national policy of coordinating the increasing use of the metric system in the U.S. It established a U.S. Metric Board whose functions as of 1 October 1982 were transferred to the Dept of Commerce, Office of Metric Programs, to coordinate the voluntary conversion to the metric system.

It’s not about cultures or traditions It’s about what makes sense.
    As science advances globally, a common and consolidated system is necessary its only a matter of time, the imperial system
    is the inferior measurement system ............. :D

The use of two different unit systems was the cause of the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter in 1998. NASA specified metric units in the contract. NASA and other organizations applied metric units in their work, but one subcontractor, Lockheed Martin, provided thruster performance data to the team in pound-force-seconds instead of newton-seconds. The spacecraft was intended to orbit Mars at about 150 kilometers (93 mi) altitude, but incorrect data probably caused it to descend instead to about 57 kilometers (35 mi), burning up in the Martian atmosphere.

17. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

I went back and forth between metric and english systems several times while in school (military brat) and I can unconditionally say that I dont care WHICH system is used, but having to switch back and forth sucked and made me more stupid than I already am with confusion.

18. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That right there is the reason it's such a divisive issue--everyone who grew up on American Standard units refuses to learn metric; my dad is one. Everybody thinks they have to perform complex calculations for converting, which isn't necessarily true. If the sign says 90 Km/h, and there's a Km scale on your speedometer, just put the needle on 90 Km/h, and ylu're good to go! The newest cars, even with analog-dial speedometers will now do mdtric speed and odom at the push of a button.

19. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

Awhile back I was flipping channels looking for something to watch on TV and I stumbled upon Rick Steves' Europe. He was talking about how to easily convert kilometers to miles per hour. He said:

A kilometers is six tenths of a mile. To change to miles, cut the kilometers in half and add back 10 percent of the original. So, eighty kilometers per hour, would be, 40 plus 8, 48 miles per hour.

He also said:

While many travelers go through their entire trip thinking, all roads lead to the town of "Ausfahrt". "Ausfahrt" is German for "Exit".

Having this information available has only come in handy once and you are looking at it. :D

HuevosRanchero likes this.