Meet Black Betty

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by sarah, May 20, 2022.

1. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] April last year we made our way to Tennessee to pick up Black Betty from Hillbilly. Here are pictures of her journey so far.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sarah

So yes I'm out of practice. Also this is the first time posting pics to this website with my phone. 5.0 already piped in on our wheel choice. Lol Don't be hating, my Grandsons Austin and Levi love this car. Austin has been present every nut and bolt getting her going at 10 yrs old he already knows more about cars than some adults I know. They loved RED but I think they love Betty more. We have to hook them young or the old iron won't last.

Hillbilly and Kiwirancher like this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

1) Welcome back, from the 'handheld' regions of the Net;
    2) Beautiful! I love the '58 jet-pipe taillights;
    3) What's her drivetrain?

4. sarah

Betty is a 1959 Hillbilly passed her on to us. She was his first car. The engine is a 352 Fe auto trans. She is all original with the exception of the mechanical. Parts were replaced the engine rebuilt etc. We upgraded from drum to disc brakes on the front. That's why we replaced her wheels with Torque thrusts and TAs. Hillbilly knows everything about this car, it came from his dad's dealership.

HuevosRanchero, Dyno and Lincolnut like this.
  5. sarah

The picture of Betty and the Camaro was her first cruise in here and that car is my friends Camaro. She left her air-conditioning to sit in the cool car with me. My grandson Connor took the pictures.

6. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Have fun. Great to see the kids excited and involved.

7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Very nice job .on getting it back on the road.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, you're right, it is a '59. I dunno how I got them crossed up. But it's great there's a traceable provenance for Betty. I still love the jet-pipe taillights.

sarah likes this.
  9. sarah

Hillbilly parked her 1975, so we brought her back to life. At times I don't think she wanted to come out of retirement but Klaus made her see differently. We have a couple more things to address and then she will be good to go long distances.

andrewok1 and beerbelly like this.
  10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

"she will be good to go long distances."

Good for you! That's what a car is for; otherwise we'd have to walk.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  11. sarah

You're so funny. Walking isn't my favorite thing these days so yes it's a good thing.

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Sarah, I finally found the Jack Benny check, still looking for the G. Gordon Liddy check. It would be interesting to find if their Black Bettys survived too.

sarah likes this.
  13. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

YEAH
    I remember it sitting in the dark corner of the big garage i had a opportunity to sit down in it and make my own engine sound , keep up the good progress

14. sarah

That would be great to see. Actually those two checks along with the items you left in the glove box would make great historical items to see along with the car.

15. handy_andy_cv64

Found this on the FB "True Blue Oval Gang" page, it's from somewhere in Australia, and the poster said it's a '61:

PSX_20220605_191322.jpg PSX_20220605_191351.jpg PSX_20220605_191419.jpg

16. sarah

Sexy

17. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Could be over there , I’m no too we’ll up on what years they were sold there . As I have mentioned quite a while ago , I owned an Aussie 57 Mainline many years ago - it looked like a 56 customline . They never had 57 or 58 Fords there , just kept the cusso shape . As far as I recall in 58 they were called a Star model because the grill had a star emblem in the centre . Imaginative as ever!
    I don’t know why we had them and Aussie didn’t. Maybe didn’t want competition for their local assembled Falcons.
    Denis.

18. handy_andy_cv64

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, do you know if there might be any Ford vehicle history books for New Zealand and Australia-market Fords?

19. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Most Yanks are amazed at what the rest of the world's Fords looked like. You will really be shocked at the South American Fords and the years they were produced.

sarah likes this.
  20. handy_andy_cv64

Very much so. I took a look at the column, the shifter arm is removed, even though the quadrant is still on the cluster above the column. It has what looks like a race-type floor shifter, although you can't fully see it.