My other "baby"

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Jul 30, 2017.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Besides my Ranchero, my other baby is a 1964 Gibson SG Junior guitar, built in the original factory in Kalamazoo, MI. It was in pretty good shape when I bought it on ebay several years ago, but had a few dings, gouges and cracked lacquer finish. I decided to strip it to bare wood and refinish it in nitrocellulose lacquer like Gibson did. My goal was to make it look as it would have in a guitar store in 1964. Here's a few photos of the process:

gouge.JPG dings.JPG front stripped.jpg back & sides stripped.jpg final clear A.jpg final clear B.jpg refin headstock, front.jpg refin reflection.jpg front, close, less strings A.jpg '64 SG Jr. in new case.JPG

LSChero, TestDummy, Jeff B and 4 others like this.
  2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Ooh, looks like we have some unseen talent. That looks killer.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Looks like a lot of work........

4. beerbelly

Ya, wet sanding from 400 to 4000 is not for the impatient.

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Were you able to steam those dents out, or did you have to use filler?

6. Lovinmy74

Lovinmy74 In Maximum Overdrive

beautiful! it definitely looks new! I got an old guitar I would like to do that too, we might have to swap notes.

7. beerbelly

I'd be happy to help 74. It looks like you know your way around wood already, so all that's left is the finishing.

8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Thats some super refinishing ,how many coats are it ????

9. beerbelly

Thanks Andy. 2 translucent color coats, 8 heavy clear coats, cure for 1 month. Then wet sand from 400 to 4000, then Mequiar's Ultimate compound, Swirl X and finally Glaze. Whew, glad it's done.

10. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Man, that thing is sweet!!!!!

11. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Freakin Bitchin...nice work..

12. Sophie948

Sophie948 In Overdrive

So sorry, beerbelly. All that work and all you really did was trash what had been a fine old guitar.

You're a nice guy, though, so I'll spare you the embarrassment and do you the favor of taking it off your hands for $20. You gotta pay the shipping, of course.

13. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Very nice work Beerbelly, great finish you got. Did you strip initially with Acetone? it fetched old Gibson finishes off a treat.

14. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

Nice looking guitar. Looks like you put a ton of work into it. I've got a 66 Gibson Melody Maker I bought new in 66 for 160$. Hard to believe the prices of guitars now. Mine could use what you've done to yours but I think I'll leave it as is for now. The guitar I'd like to get is a Gibson 335 but I'd have to hit the lottery to afford one.

15. beerbelly

Jimbob, I didn't want to sand down the old finish and possibly lose the nice crisp edges, so I used Citristrip orange, followed by Kleen Strip After Wash, followed by denatured alcohol. That left me with nice clean wood, a beautiful one-piece chunk of Honduran Mahogany. Then steamed & filled the dents, a coat of sanding sealer, grain filler, a clear lacquer wash coat, and then the color & clear coats. And I can't quite make out part two of your post.

And Sophie, as generous & tantalizing as your offer is, I'm keeping this one; shipping these days is outrageous.

ForistellFord likes this.
  16. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Beerbelly, part two of my post was just about the stripping process. I have used Acetone to strip Nitrocellulose off a Gibson in the past. The Acetone just disolves the finish off and evaporates leaving nice clean wood behind. Has to be done outside though, it gets you high as anything in no time!

I have to say, your quality of finish looks outstanding, better than Gibson ever gets it from the factory in fact. Nice job.

17. beerbelly

Thanks Jimbob. I've used acetone before, but I don't care for the side effects- beer is my weapon of choice! I've had many Gibsons in the past (4 SG's, a Les Paul plus top, and a Les Paul Junior), and I can guarantee that this is a better finish than any of them. But then I'm not pooping them out by the hundreds per day either; I have the luxury of taking my time.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  18. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not that it matters, but is that one of those things where you just killed its value by restoring it? Not sure how guitars work. I'd have done the same thing, though.

19. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I was wondering the same thing myself. Either way it looks great.

TestDummy likes this.
  20. beerbelly

That's a great question TestDummy. The purists will say I've devalued this guitar by half by removing the factory finish. I debated it for about two years. But this is one SPECIAL guitar, the best of the 6 Gibsons and the dozen or so others I've owned. It just comes alive in my hands, and notes just fall off my fingertips with the lightest touch. All the others have been sold, but this one will never be on the market, so it's a moot point to me. Eff 'em.

I guess it's like keeping a car original, with all it's warts, or turning it into a restomod.

pmrphil, Jimbob and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.