New Driver

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by HarryRanchero, Mar 30, 2009.

1. HarryRanchero

HarryRanchero In Third Gear

1978 Thunderbird Town Landau non-vinyl top (yeah!); 400 2V, C6, Power Everything, Factory Tow Package, Tach Dash, Leather, 65K Original... and smooth!

Attached Files:

2. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

Nice find Harry.:cool:

[​IMG]

3. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice find Harry,Looks to be pretty clean and its got gills!Nice herd..

4. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

Really nice find, looks like it is time to add on to your list of cars. Good work.

5. HarryRanchero

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I worked for Galpin Ford as a Service Advisor when this year car was new! So I knew what to look for. Also, the guy that had it was an elderly Oriental fellow, that could not have weighed more than a 110 pounds (with egg rolls!), and the driver seat feels like new! I just rebuilt the carb this afternoon, changed her to synthetic, and will work on cleaning up the dust from sitting. That old paint sure cleans upi fantastic with TR3! It looks like I painted it! The original "painted" pinstriping is still good all the way around her! Amazing! I now have a "4 Seater" Ranchero! lol
    Thanks again guys!

6. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Nice I always waned one with the T-Tops

7. HarryRanchero

Day 1 Rear Shots AM and PM 1978 T Bird

This is what she looked like in the morning, and then in the evening that 1st day home.

Attached Files:

8. john777

john777 In Overdrive

nice job and nice rims!

9. HarryRanchero

Thanks Trikar for posting the "full size". I do NOT know how to do that! lol And thanks also to John for the comment on the wheels. I found those on Craigslist, in my home town, 15 x 8 American Racing Torque Thrust II's, with BFG T/A's w/ 70% tread left, with caps and lugs... for $325.00 for the set. I almost fainted when I got the deal!

PS: On the rear window trim, the one I have is NOT worth it! I'd try Craigslist and/or "Pick and Pull's" near you, John. I'll keep an eye out for you too a sI go to the local Pick and Pulls also.

10. trikar

Before TR3
    [​IMG]

After TR3
    [​IMG]

11. HarryRanchero

Yeah, Baby! Now that's what I am talking about on the "BIG SCREEN!!!" lol Thanks, Kev!

12. trikar

No problem:cool:

13. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Nice Tbird. I always liked those. I almost bought a new one in 1977 but went with a new Monte Carlo instead because my girlfriend liked it better.:rolleyes:

14. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Brings back memories of the 77 XR7 I used to have:(, that is a beautiful T-bird Harry:cool:

15. HarryRanchero

Thanks, "P"! Like I said earlier in the post, I use to be a service writer when these were new. Brought back a lot of memories! I have to laugh though, has "2.73's" in the rear!

I just took her for a drive with the carb rebuild job this afternoon. Runs good, and man is this thing "QUIET" inside! I have to remember to "PLAN" the tight turns in my driveway with this much hood again! lol My daily driver is a 1996 Buick Regal. BIG difference!

Again, thanks to all for the comments. "OH"! It even has the Factory "Seek/Scan Am/Fm" Radio... and it WORKS!!!

16. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

awesome looking ride!

17. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Harry, nice find. I love me some big cars.... yes size does matter :D Nice deal on those wheels too, those are exactly what I'm wanting to put on RED. Not that anyone cares. Back to your girl, take some pictures of that interior... I love those cars. Klaus is looking for a 97 or newer Crown Vic for me. He's decided after driving a co-workers Lincoln that it would be nice to own a big cruiser. Especially if you can acquire one with an interceptor under the hood >:) Beautiful ride Harry just beautiful.

18. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

2.73's is what I have on the rear of my chero, and I also agree with really having to plain out tight turns ahead of time. That big hood gets the best of you at times. Enjoy the new ride.

19. HarryRanchero

Much Thanks, "All ya'all"!

I'll keep an eye out for you Sarah if you like for a set. They sure make a '70's car that is for sure!

RD, I had a '77 T-Bird a decade ago, and my buddy said when he saw the car the first time that:

"... it would be 15 minutes before you knew you had a front end collision with the length of that hood!"

I had a NEW 1979 Ranchero GT back in the day, and the 2:73's would let me BURY the speedo on the back roads of the high desert between Lancaster and Victorville. A road that went right by El Mirage Dry Lake Bed. It took forever to get to 85mph PLUS but it was smmmoooootthhhhh from then on! lol

Thanks again "all ya'all" for the words on the Bird!

20. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I have a buddy who's a late 70's T-bird guy, has a few nice TL's like that one. He may have some parts if you need anything. Nice car!