New Electrical problem, 79 Ra

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by drlance, Oct 13, 2014.

1. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

After finding where the mouse or 'other' creature had eaten through the harness to the rear of my ranchero, I thought I would be in pretty good shape.... WRONG!

Now, after a new light switch, a new turn signal switch, 3 new wires run the back of the ranchero and 3 new sockets wired in, I have an interesting problem...

Every once in awhile I go to start the car and it is completely dead! No interior lights, no ignition, no start no nothing! If I wait an hour and go back to the car....everything works!!! Lights, start, action!

The only clue I have is that the if the headlights are on, they will flash if I step on the brake pedal or if I turn on the radio or turn the fan to high. I am tempted to replace the ignition switch but not certain that is the problem, switching from low to high beam doesn't cause a problem and leaving the 'parking' lights on doesn't cause a problem either.

I am just very confused at the moment.....

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Very odd. Just as a starting question, when it appears completely dead, does the horn still work? Or the cigarette lighter? Headlights? Those are a few items that are not fused, should be always hot. If they are also dead, then you need to look at battery cables and/or the fusible link in the engine compartment. A voltmeter or just a test light applied to the battery terminals would inform you if the battery itself is intermittent (a damaged internal connector could produce a symptom like that.)

Another clue, if you can hear a click when the headlights are flashing on/off, that is a signal that the circuit breaker in the headlight switch is activating -- which suggests either a bad switch or an intermittent short circuit in the system.

3. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Thanks, I'll check tonight....

4. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Well, the car came back to life onit's own... have the instrument cluster out and found a 'lifted' trace at the plug. It could have slid over and caused one of the problems....maybe! Checked the ignition switch, it works perfectly. Checked the brake light switch, not shorted to ground and works like it's supposed to! Pulled the fuse on the Cigar lighter until I can trace the wire. Still looking, the headlights work now like they should. Will know more after I get things back together and can start it!!

5. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

See what happens when you fix your car during a full moon in Halloween season.

Hillbilly and MaxInValrico like this.