New Members ( Introduce Yourself)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Rancherous, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Tx Bear

Tx Bear In Second Gear

Hey Ya'll new to this forum and Ranchero's. Have driven Ford's my entire life to include 1969 Mach 1 (my first car- pd $200 for it. Aging myself), 1970 Mach 1, and a bunch of other Mustangs. I have always had a Ford truck for daily use. I ran across a deal I couldn't refuse (since I have always like Chero's and Elkies). I had a 1969 F100 that was drug from a barn with no motor or tranny and traded for a 78 Chero running and driving. Bonus is the guy put cash on top of that. Dang good deal in my opinion. The 78 is straight, practically rust free, and fairly clean. A little paint and elbow grease and she should be a nice driver. Looking forward to the nuggets of wisdom to help put this ol gal back to haulin azz. (dropping in a 5.0 Cobra that was earmarked for the F100). Should be a hoot!

Till next time,

Bear

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. chrlsful

chrlsful In First Gear

Bear -
    Welcome!
    Any pic? we just luv pic!

3. Tx Bear

Tx Bear In Second Gear

Hi Chrisful- Picture coming soon. Although she isn't a beauty yet- might scare ya, I want to knock the dust off and put the new windshield in before I take pics.

4. chrlsful

chrlsful In First Gear

Thanks for the post back!

Either's fine.

Some I've seen look better to me in their orig, fine patina!
    I think ur past the post limit for a 1st pic upload.

5. Tx Bear

Tx Bear In Second Gear

Ok Chrisful here is a teaser pic. Lets you get a glimpse of all the work I have ahead of me! Just on the door panel- Replacing window crank with power windows from tbird, rebuilding panel and recovering in black and either butterscotch or dark rust/blood color and completely redesigned loosely based on the tbird or cougar for a longer sweeping arm rest with window and lock controls. Ditching the hideous late '70s mirrors for '1970 Mach 1 bullet mirrors. What you can see of the hood and fender isn't white- it's dust! Best part is I drove it out of the barn (barely). Painting the Chero 2015 Magnetic Metallic seen on the new Mustangs. Calling this Project Voodoo cause it is gonna take a lot of throwing chicken bones, praying to all the appropriate gods, and sacrificial cash to make this Chero cherry. Can't complain- she's got excellent bones! That's it for now... more to come!

Ranchero Door Panel.JPG

6. chrlsful

chrlsful In First Gear

lookin beddah den when I started mine...
    8-O

Tx Bear likes this.
  7. BillyC

BillyC In Fourth Gear

Don't see any rust

8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

WHAT-- WHATS WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE:D:eek:I LIKE THE PEAK A BO TINT

9. Turtle

Turtle In First Gear

Just inherited a super clean 78 Ranchero 500 with only 77K. Had to pull the engine to replace all the gaskets, was leaking everywhere, but running good. Finding the right motor mounts for this thing was a trip. Takes LTD II motor mounts and mustang tranny mount. Anybody know the trick to drain the rear end oil?

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Remove the pumpkin

sound like you inherited a cool ride

11. Gammz

Gammz In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

What rear end?

12. 5.0 Chero

78 = 9 inch rear

Gammz likes this.
  13. chrlsful

chrlsful In First Gear

"...Anybody know the trick to drain the rear end oil?"
    no plug w/a 1/2 inch square hole U fit yer empty socket inta & ratchet away on? Look on the upper 1/4 to 1/3 of the chunk, pukin, 2nd member, dif...

14. Turtle

Turtle In First Gear

the rear end has a welded on rear pan and no drain in the bottom portion anywhere. The only way I can see to drain it would be to remove the entire carrier unit from the axle housing which would mean pulling the axles because the lack of a removable rear pan means there are no c- clips to remove to slip out the axles. Pretty big job just to change the oil. Looking for an easy way out?

15. 5.0 Chero

there is not one sorry pull the pumpkin is the only way
    well there is one more way if you have the ability to drill and weld with the pumpkin installed but I would not do it.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JOES+Racing+P...6&cadevice=c&gclid=CNLNjoDmksgCFcZhfgodr-UGZQ

16. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You can also suck the old oil out. Doing so would get most of it out, which is 95% better than none, and 100% easier than pulling the pumpkin off.

17. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I've got a venturi pump that I hook my air compressor hose to that removes 95% of the gear oil from the differential - and if there is enough metallic particulates in the oil that 95% isn't good enough then the pumpkin is overdue for removal regardless. And yes, the axles have to come out to remove the pumpkin.

18. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

I just loosened all the nuts way out, tilted the carrier upwards, need a jack under the front pinion portion, the clearances everywhere will permit an opening at the bottom plenty big to leak out all the juice. Tighten it up, the gasket will usually re-seal, if it did not break. mo.

19. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Some people drill and tap the case. That is what is done when installing a differential oil cooler.

20. 70 GTee

70 GTee In First Gear

Hello from Northern California, just picked up this little gem
    [​IMG]

HuevosRanchero likes this.