Paint Codes

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Kiwirancher, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Hi All , I have a 66 Ranchero and will soon need to do a bit of paint touch-up work. According to the ID tag on the door the paint code is Z. As far as I can tell that is Chantilly Beige . I have not been able to find a paint code for that color so am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I need the code so that my local paint guy can make me up a couple of rattle cans for the small jobs. As I am in New Zealand it is not feasible to get cans shipped from the US.
    Denis.

2. Kiwirancher

Part two — I have had a look at a couple of pictures of mustangs that are chantilly beige and they seem to be far more gold coloured than my Ranchero. Mine is more cream , it has been repainted in the US before I bought it so I may need to get someone to colormatch it the old way. I am still having trouble posting a photo but will keep trying , grandson assistance needed I think.
    Denis.

3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

since it has been painted the stock code may have many ,shade difference , in the U.S.,we have paint shops that can match your color with a camera scan , if that type service is available in NEW ZEALAND , THAT is going to be the best option , Andy

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

My Dupont paint book from 1966 lists code Z as Sauterne Gold Metallic, also used in 1967, Dupont Lucite number 4742L . Code Z in 1965 is shown as Chantilly Beige, Dupont Lucite number 4488L . The 1966 color chip has more gold look than the 1965 beige. These old colors are not mixable anymore so a scan will get the best duplication of the original. To get a color scan you will need a flat area about 6 inch square that has good coverage of the original paint to get a proper scan. When we use this the colors are right on.

5. Kiwirancher

Thanks for the replies guys . Yes , I will have to leave the ranchero with the paint guy and let him do his thing. I think he just eye-matches but if it comes out ok that's fine. The sales doc that came with it says it is vanilla white , that doesn't mean much either.
    Denis.

6. rfinnegan

rfinnegan In Fourth Gear