paint questions

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by inenidok, Apr 24, 2011.

1. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

what type of brands paint has people used on there rancheros?

I need to deside on a color i am having a hard time trying to pick a color and what brand paint i need to paint the fire wall and go head and get it done before i put the front end back on it. i figured with the front clip off the chero it would be best to go ahead and paint it.

i am hoping to have the front passenger side floor pan fixed in a week or two and then paint the fire wall and inside the cab. before i reinstall the upholstery. like to get that all done then finish the out side body later on.

the only problem is trying to figure out what shape the lower rear quarts where so i can make some panels and fix the corners on the doors

the only major rust is the lower rear quarters and the door corners, rest of the body in good shape few dents here and there nothing to bad.

i was thinking on dulpicolor, but i dont know? feel kinda funny about it due to how it is to easy to spray> ( no mixing)

house of kolor to high for my pocket

so what brands have you all used and got a good paint job.
    please note mine is not going to be for shows or trailer queen it is going to be driven daily

thanks for your input

2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

I own a bodyshop and have been using DuPont for over 30 years. One Mustang was painted with Sherman Williams and the other I used PPG and my Ranchero will be painted this week with DuPont. Both Mustangs have been painted over 30 years and still look great. Basically if you use a polyurethane paint with or without clear, it doesn't matter what brand paint you use. Good automotive paint no matter what brand is expensive, so do a quality prep job so you only have to do it once. Painting your under hood areas with Duplicolor would probably work just fine as long as you get enough paint on it. Just do not use a cheap synthetic enamel on the exterior as it will dull off within a year or two, then have to be redone adding to paint layer build up which makes it chip easier.

3. Ranchero Richard

Ranchero Richard SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

I had mine painted two years ago.
    The paint was mixed by my local auto paint store, That is all they do is sell auto paint and paint supplies, and body work stuff.
    The paint code on the door is 3K, but I asked them to add in a bit more metallic then original.
    The paint code on the can is Primary code 3K, secondary code M5210A.
    It is called BLUE Glamor Metallic.
    The paint is by Matrix System Automotive Finishes.

Have three coat's of clear over the color

79 being in the business, as he stated, knows more then me about paint. I just added as another entry.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  4. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

I've used DuPont BC/CC and R-M Diamont BC/CC with excellent results for both

5. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

Ive used PPG with good results, but it anit cheap.

6. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

Thanks everyone for your input on my question, mine was orginal white i dont want white so i looking for a different color. my daughter told me to paint it sour apple i dont know LOL

7. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Tractor Supply has a truck and implement paint.Inexpensive and I use it a lot on outside stuff.Lawn mowers,bridge railing and the like.Actually use the rattle can on a lot of things but I'm gonna paint my 74 F100 with their red paint that you use in a sprayer.

8. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

yeah i done that for my ford ford truck i had the paint last a few years before fading, but i am going to use automotive paint on the old girl. i have not decide on single stage or base coat clear coat yet.

9. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

The difference between using automotive paint and industrial paint is the type of paint. Most tractor/industrial paint is the old type of synthetic or acrylic enamel and now practically all automotive paint is urethane and some are water based. The urethanes whether clearcoated or not will hold up to fade and chemicals alot longer. That is one reason for the higher cost. When painting something talk to your paint company people and they will give you all the imformation that you need. Look for longer lasting paint over cost. In the end it's cheaper to use the better paint.

10. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

Oh i agree 100% that is why i have not jumped the gun on painting my fire wall and the parts in the engine bay or inside the cab area, and the bed, i want to find the right paint and right color, i will start off with a qt and do the firewall, door jams and inside the doors, so when it is all said and done it matches, i dont what my chero bieng a barn yard paint job, old work trucks and tractors heck yeah barn yard paint is great;)