Pertronix: there must be a trick!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Der Flieger, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Der Flieger

Der Flieger In Third Gear SILVER MEMBER

On my 302, I just can't get the Pertronix distributor to go in the last 1/4 inch. Wiggle it and dropping it doesn't work and then for some reason it finally will drop clear in. Help!

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Most likely, it is hitting the top end of the oil-pump shaft. Try putting a gob of thick grease on top of the shaft, that will possibly hold it centered while you locate it.

OTOH, you can use the distributor in any position it makes with the cam gear; you will need to relocate the ignition wires on top of the distributor to match.

Hillbilly likes this.
  3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to Ford oil pump drive shafts. Have you noticed that hexagonal shaft in the bottom of the hole the distributor goes in ? That hex shaft has to match the hex shaped hole in the bottom of the distributor shaft or the distributor won't go completely down. Getting both to align while having the rotor button point where you want it to can be a sporting event. Adding to the fun is you have to anticipate where the distributor will end up after it turns on the way down due to the drive gear. A little grease packed into the hole around the oil pump shaft helps you hold the shaft centered in the hole and will let you make slight adjustments to the shaft as you make your attempts to fully poke the distributor in. A long pair of needle nose pliers or a long hemostat can be used to turn the oil pump shaft. Don't get discouraged or try to force the distributor to go down. It may take many attempts but once you find that elusive "SWEET SPOT" your distributor will literally fall in place.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, I never could stomach that the rotor shaft does not engage the pump shaft before the gears mesh. The grease dollop sounds like a good idea. In turning the shaft to get it 'into position,' so to speak, I tape a correct-size deep socket, ground down outside to make it fit in the hole, to a loooong 1/4" extension, so I can insert it to turn the shaft in the hopes of finding said sweet spot. I've even bumped the starter with the dizzy meshed and sitting on it, and have it drop in 4 of five times. YMMV.

Hillbilly likes this.
  5. Der Flieger

Yowzah! That's the best kind of help. I am on my way out to the garage right now.

6. Der Flieger

Bumping the starter works like a charm, but then the rotor is away from the position you were shooting for timing-wise, but I am learning patience.

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

A 1/4" deep (also 1/4" drive) socket and either a 6" or 12" extension turns the pump shaft very easily, if you're worried it might fall off just duct tape it to the extension.

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The trick is that you need to put the engine's crankshaft at #1 on TDC on the compression stroke, start from that point. It'll give you a base point to restart from if you end up way off.

Hillbilly likes this.
  9. rocco611

rocco611 In First Gear

as handy andy stated start at #1 tdc , line up the rotor where it needs to be, with the distributor meshed with the cam gear, then turn the crankshaft a few degrees one way and wiggle the distributor. it should drop in. if it doesnt turn the crank back to tdc then a few degrees the other way. you may have to go back and forth a few times.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021