Racing Seats

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by *RD*, Oct 29, 2013.

1. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

Hey guys so I decided after taking out my bench seat last week to fix a shifter cable, that I want to put in bucket seats because my bench is in dire need of a restoration and it also weighs a ton. So today I was on carbeau racing seats website and I noticed that they made direct fit sliding mounting brackets to work with their seats. So my question is I noticed that when I had my carpet up, there are pre drilled holes on the seat rails. Now would it be just a matter of wielding in a stud and nut to the holes in the front and rear. Also what would you guys run for seat belts, I was thinking about 4 point harnesses, but I was reading some articles that they could be unsafe in a car without a roll cage because if the car was to roll the roof could cave in and crush you because they don't allow you to move like a lap belt or newer style belt does. The guy at carbau that I talked today also said that I could run normal lap belts with their seats. Well let me know what you guys think. Here is a link to the brackets.
    http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Corbeau/Seat-Brackets/Ford-Ranchero-Corbeau-Seat-Bracket/810295/

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I ran into this putting aftermarket seats in my 72.
    The big problem is that the floor pan is not designed to carry the weight. The original seats hook in wide where it is strong.
    The front universal would scrape the tunnel during bumps.
    I ended up putting a support on both sides the transmission mount.
    Actually, I am glad the universal scraped, otherwise I would not have been aware of the flexing until the sheet metal failed.

3. *RD*

Would you by any chance have any pictures of your setup? Also is it possible to make those brackets work properly with few modifications?

4. ribald1

It's rather low under there.
    I just tack welded some rectangular tubing on and forced some 3/8" thick rubber over it.
    Actually, it looks like shit so I would be ashamed to post a pic.:(

5. *RD*

Lol but it works, will have to look into doing that setup when the racing buckets go in this winter. Also what are you running for belts?

6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

ribald he talking about using the factory bucket,60/40 bench mounting holes. They are plenty strong enough to mount the aftermarket seats to. the Factory used 3/8 caged nuts and short studs to mount the seats so no welding needed

7. *RD*

Yeah, in my case since my car originally had a bench, I have only one stud and nut on the outside, I am thinking I will have to add one of each to each side. What would be the be the best way to do that?

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

9. *RD*

Thanks man, think I found the brackets that I am going to run. Cant wait to get buckets in this car. Also one thing I like about living in the northeast, long winters give you plenty of time to mod the car. Got my whole undercarriage repainted, and fuel cell put in because of them.

10. ribald1

That being the case, I really should take a hard look at why the floor was flexing.

11. 5.0 Chero

Yea you are not as heavy as me and mine dose not have a problem

12. 5.0 Chero

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cage-nuts/=p5vvcn

13. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

Even when you include his big head? :)

14. ribald1

Yeah, the head is big, so is the entire package.
    You sure are interested in some strange things.:eek: