Radiator Overflow tank

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Huevos, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Considering adding an overflow reservoir to my '71 with AC, Not a lot of room in there to add anything more than a coke bottle.
    Right now its a closed system, so any lost coolant goes to the ground.
    If I made an open system I would need a different cap and a tank to return the fluid.
    Anyone have pics or ideas?

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You only need a spot to put the tank, it doesn't need to be right at the radiator. Jeep Cherokees from '92 on had the bottle on the right side, and the radiator cap was on the left side, some five feet of hose away from each other.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I can't give a model, but there are combined washer fluid/rad catch tanks. Might be able to find something at the
    Pick and Pull that would fit in the washer tank space.

5. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

7. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

I have one very similar to the ones BB suggested. Works well and looks good but there is a fair amount of room in my 66.
    Denis.

8. Leo Vargas

Leo Vargas In Second Gear

The dual reservoir style is from a 85 to 92 Mustang. I installed one on my Daughter's 63 Falcon, works great. Have been considering doing the same for the Ranchero, since an owner before removed the wiper fluid tank to install a over the counter coolant tank, just does not look right. There is one from the Ford Ranger, but is too big if you have a/c.

9. SouthCarolinaRanchero

SouthCarolinaRanchero In Third Gear

I just bought this one from Advance Auto....only $18, nice and compact, will put it in soon.....
    Thanks Jeff! :D

Jeff B. likes this.
  10. beerbelly

That's the style I use too:

overflow & washer.JPG

11. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

[​IMG]

Works well. No more overflow issues.

12. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

If your radiator has a dual seal cap on it, the overflow hose should go into the bottom of the overflow reservoir, leaving the top hole open to act as an overflow drain exit, that way you never have to "top off" your radiator, and it eliminates any air pockets left in the system.

13. beerbelly

I'm using it as a puke tank to catch any possible overflow vs. the old style hose that dumps on the ground.
    If I set it up like you're saying, do I add some coolant to the tank? Wouldn't leaving the top hole open just puke coolant if it got that high?

14. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You should have about 1/8 - 1/4 of the tank with coolant in it when cold. When it is hot, the level should be no more than 2/3 - 3/4 full, so unless there's an issue with overheating, you should not have anything come out of the tank.
    The old style radiator/hose configuration always left air in the top of radiator tank and will boil earlier than when full of coolant, pushing out more often, and always needing topping off. The current way (with a connected tank) keeps the air out and eliminates having to remove the cap to check coolant level. Kinda helpful when you might think it's hotter than normal.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  15. beerbelly

OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks Phil.

16. beerbelly

Yes? I drilled a small hole in the gray cap too.

modified cooolant tank.JPG

17. Jeff B.

I’ve used this bottle on 2 or 3 vehicles that didn’t come with factory overflow bottles. I normally put the coolant level at between 1/4 and 1/3 of the bottle and mark it to monitor any change. You might consider running a hose down to the bottom of the radiator support from the outlet on top in the unlikely event there is overflow from the bottle.

According to my radiator guy using an overflow tank will extend the life of the radiator by allowing it to be filled to the top and staying filled. This eliminates the inch or two of air gap at the top of the radiator, which is where oxidation begins and leads to radiator leaks. FWIW.

18. beerbelly

Thanks for the info Jeff. I always have an inch or two air gap in the radiator, so you're saying I can fill it to the top now?
    I may run an overflow tube from the top, after I see how this works after a few heat cycles. I really don't want to be poisoning animals with coolant though.

19. Jeff B.

Fill ‘er up to the top and let the bottle catch the expansion. You’ll see the level rise in the bottle when hot (an inch or so in my experience) then go back down as the engine cools and coolant is pulled back into the radiator. Pretty slick.

20. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Keeping in mind that you need the correct radiator cap —I had to change mine when I fitted one of those
    Denis.

beerbelly likes this.