Rarity = 70/71 Ranchero at yesterdays carshow

Discussion in 'This Whacky World' started by As Is '66, Jun 14, 2015.

1. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I wouldn't attempt to give my business to someone who doesn't want it just so I could sue them. Get a grip. There are other bakeries -----

2. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

l agree, l would also shop elsewhere but how would you feel about a gay owned/ran business refusing to serve somebody because they were 'straight' ????

3. azcolin

Dan, l just believe in live and let live

4. plumcolr

Same way. If they don't want my business, I don't want to do business with them. Unless it is an essential service or a monopoly, I see no reason to even get upset over it.

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

In the not too distant past I was refused service because I was in the military, and there were places that posted signs "sailors and dogs keep off the grass". I patronized other places.

plumcolr likes this.
  6. 72GTVA

Yet we have people losing their livelihoods over this, but only in the exact cases of, and in most cases stating it politely that they believe it to not be in accord with their convictions, that they do not wish to provide product 'x' or service 'y' because of their personal beliefs or religious views. How fair is that?

And where is the live and let live with those that gleefully force them out of their means to make a living?

7. azcolin

l drove up to North wales a few years ago to help an elderly relative pack to move, my car needed fuel,
    l stopped in a small town petrol station to fill up on the way back and was told 'fuel is for locals only'
    not a nice feeling

8. 72GTVA

Hopefully you had enough fuel to go elsewhere.

9. plumcolr

'Sounds like a scene from "Deliverance" to me.

10. azcolin

yup, just about, funny thing was the petrol station was a store and restaurant too,
    we didn't eat lunch there, And why was I refused fuel ??? l purchased my [used] car in England and they could tell from the first three numbers on the reg plate it was sold new in England, FFS it was a ten year old car and l am welsh, Stupid, narrow minded idiots, and that's my own folk l am talking about,

11. plumcolr

So, no banjo-player?

And about the service thing - everyone knows mid-ranking naval service officers do disgusting things on the grass

:p:rolleyes:

12. 72GTVA

Probably no banjo (did they even have those in Wales?) - but I'd wonder about the pibgorn in the near distance...

At the time I was a Radarman (enlisted) having changed to that from Gunners Mate (Guns) after leaving the jungle behind - I didn't become an officer that did disgusting things on and to lawns until quite a while later. Never have touched "grass" if you get my drift... :p

13. plumcolr

I sat on our GAO line overlooking the Fulda gap, wondering how the german populace could be so nice and so fussy at the same time. So am familiar with "keep off the grass" signs. Though I think a lot of it was more keep off our frauleins.

Of course all they had to do was look east to be more thankful - - -

14. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

I am with Sean, where is the picture of the Ranchero. Having said that, I might as well throw in my 2-bits worth. I wish the Supreme Court would have thrown this back and asked for a change in the grammar of the brief. Most people would be okay with gay people having domestic partnerships, and I know it is just a matter of semantics, but I don't feel the Supreme Court has the right or the place to push aside
    centuries of societal mores. If you substituted the words domestic partnership for "marriage", most groups, even conservative religions would be okay with this. Allowing domestic partnerships would offer
    gay couples (and anyone) the right to have a partnership in which health insurances, etc. would be obligated to offer coverage and acceptance. The problem with the current ruling is that churches who refuse to "marry" gay couples will lose their "tax free" status, and the government will in a sense hold them at gun point. If I was a gay couple, I would not force a bakery to bake my "domestic union" cake if they didn't want to. I might consider suing them if they refuse to let me buy a brownie based on my sexual orientation. I think there is a difference here. One strength of this country is that we are "tolerant and there is room for discussion, such as this forum is providing. I try to treat people the way I want to be treated, and there are plenty of good bakers out there.

15. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Churches should pay taxes too. Maybe not the same percentage as many businesses (those that haven't purchased a Senator), but they should pay something.

16. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

I am not against churches paying some kind of taxes, but you get my point the government now has leverage over groups to "force" them to comply with issues that they maybe should not be wading into.
    Hatred and true bigotry usually gets its own rewards. There are always going to be narrow minded jerks who will treat "some one who is different" from them with hatred and malcontent. Most people I have run into usually live by the rule "live and let live". I want "gay" people to feel accepted in our society, they should be able to "come" out of the closet and should not be denied obvious rights. At the same time
    others who don't think exactly like they do, should not be forced into doing certain things that are against their beliefs. I think there is room for tolerance on both sides, or all sides of this issue.

azcolin likes this.
  17. TestDummy

Part of the problem, in regards to gay folk, are the many that think it's a choice. It may be a choice for these people to 'come out', but they don't choose to be attracted to the people they find attractive. I still think that people that think it's a choice are borderline gay, and they actually HAD to make a choice. It's the only thing that makes sense, really. I never had to make a choice. I loves the women!!!
    A friend of mine posted this on Facebook today. I think he hit the old nail right on the head, without insulting any individual, or any group.
    Religious people: If you are in a furor over the same sex marriage ruling, you should stop and think how things would be if someone else's religion took precedence over yours. Like modern medical care? Not if the Christian Scientists had final say. Like modern cars and electronics? Not if the Amish had final say. Like women's rights to vote, own property, attend school, drive cars? Not if Wahhabi Sunnis had final say. My point: your religion is yours, not mine. Your religious rules are yours, not mine. Your religious restrictions are yours, not mine.

18. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

The problem is with the Constitution. It would take an amendment to achieve the solution you are looking for, not going to happen.

19. jwarden

jwarden In Third Gear

BB
    You are probably right, I guess we will all have to wait and see where the future takes us.

20. TestDummy

You can make a crap load of money if you can predict the future. Lottery numbers, Super Bowl winners, horse races, etc.