Red Rocket

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by DJ Clinton, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Today I spent quite a bit of time working on the bed. The PO in I'm sure infinite wisdom, hot mopped the bed and up the sides. So I have been using a putty knife and hammer to get the tar paper off and most of the tar under it. I found only surface rust in the bed. Oh, and there was a tow hitch welded under the gas tank. So, tank leaked, so he cut a hole in the bed and installed a new upright tank 1/2 under and 1/2 on top of the front of the bed. Would have been easier and faster (and probably cheaper) to just cut the hitch off to replace the old tank. Oh well, gives me something to complain about. Now to buy something to remove the rest of the tar. And I don't even want to describe the electrical!

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Did you buy the car sight unseen?

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Get 'rice' dry ice at a welding supply. The tar will separate from the metal when frozen with the dry ice and be easy to remove.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Buyers remorse.?

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome to the site DJ.
    Those things can be worked out, and we will help when we can.

6. DJ Clinton

No buyers remorse. I was aware of the tar and the 'new' gas tank. However, with the tar covering everything, I was not aware that a hole was cut in the bed for the tank. I am still happy with the purchase, but LOTS of work ahead. One thing at a time. I should finish up on the basic electrical this next week(so I will have lights and horn for when I get it on the road), then start on the brakes. The tar leftover is what I work on when I don't feel like doing anything else. And I will box in the hole in the bed and make it a storage area with a hinged lid. I'm retired and this type of work keeps me out of 'trouble'. I do have to remind myself that this car came off the line while I was in high school.

Cindy and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

the "hole" in front may be factory the unibody cheros had an access panel bolted in up front

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

"Smuggler's Blues."

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  9. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Sing it for us, Andy :eek:

10. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

No disrespect meant, good luck with your project. As for the tar, kerosene tends to soften it to where it is workable.

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I can't. I don't own a '65.

pmrphil and FordR500GT like this.
  12. DJ Clinton

bed 10.26.17.jpg [​IMG] Prior owner cut a hole in the access panel in the bed. So I will make a door for it when I get to that point. This week-replaced accelerator pump(leaked bad) and replaced oil light sender. Also finally got the gas tank out(lots of cutting to get the hitch brackets off)-what a rusty mess on the inside. Yes, will replace with new. Also got a look at the back brakes. Time to order parts. I keep this vehicle in Utah but spend most of my time in Mesquite(with my other two classics). So, next trip to Utah, I hope to have the parts to take care of the tank and rear brakes. A little at a time.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  13. DJ Clinton

Man-such a long time since I was able to touch my truck. I have lots of parts waiting for me to start, but I have been stuck in Nevada. Heading to Utah this week and hope the weather will be warm enough(as in above 32) so I can get the new gas tank in and finish up the rear brakes. Also bought tubing for a new fuel line(prior owner pulled out the old line and used rubber line from the tank to the pump with some interesting 90 degree curves).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  14. DJ Clinton

Finally got some time(and warm weather) to work on the 'Rocket'. New rear brakes and lines(all new,springs, cylinders, drum etc). Also installed the new gas tank, only to find out the fill hose had been jury-rigged by the prior owner. Now, to order the correct fill hose and run new tubing from the tank to the pump. Next step, redo the front brakes. Also replaced the generator with a 100 amp alternator and removed the under radiator wiring harness-adding a new #8 wire to the cab.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  15. DJ Clinton

Finally spent some time in Utah and was able to work on the 'rocket'. New disc brakes in front, along with new master and new wheels/tires. Slowly coming along. Started taking paint off the bed walls. But now back in Nevada for a month-so work gets delayed again. View attachment 11356 View attachment 11356 . Also added headlight and horn relays.

Attached Files:

neil brown and Basstrix like this.
  16. DJ Clinton

Got back to Utah! This week stripped drivers side & front wall of bed . All 3 sides of bed now in primer-looks much better. Think I'll take a break from the bed & do some more electrical work. 20180615_164322.jpg

17. DJ Clinton

Made a door for the hole in the bed, repaired the grill. Since the car is not stock, decided to paint the grill to match the car(when it gets painted).

Attached Files:

18. DJ Clinton

19  painted grill.jpg 20  front bed with coating.jpg
    Slow progress--

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  19. DJ Clinton

Well, it's not a Ranchero, but I attended the local Mesquite, NV car show this weekend with my 3 wheeler. 6 El Camino's but not one Ranchero in over 800 cars. Gotta get mine to a spot where it might be showable(2 years is my prediction). Had fun and won $50 with my little one. 16 Mesquite car show 2018.jpg

20. DJ Clinton

Spent the day yesterday replacing the rubber on the side wing windows. Now that was fun. Now to replace the glass runs. New rubber and new front glass channel. Ready for my next trip back to Utah to install.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    TestDummy likes this.