Replacing 1963 filler neck hose

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by MariVandaFord, Aug 25, 2018.

1. MariVandaFord

MariVandaFord In First Gear

I realized my filler neck hose is quite cracked and about to fall apart so I ordered a replacement. Now I’m staring at it like “how the hell does this thing go on? Do I need to drop the gas tank? How do these two rubber pieces connect? Did I order an extra piece?” The old one is just a hose. The new one is stiff thick rubber that’s pre bent. Advice? Help? Suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    andrewok1 likes this.
  2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

looks to me like you ordered an extra unneeded hose you should be able to get it on with out dropping the tank but the hose you have is for a 64-71

3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

wrong parts ,your not alone it happens more than spoke of ,

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

It's not a matter of "wrong" parts, but a matter of cobbling together parts that will make it work. It looks to me like either A) the parts store didn't have one, that was one-piece, that matched the old one, or B) the parts guy assumed the car had an intermediate pipe. I think it was the former, because I've replaced the fill hoses on both Eddie (my former '89 Bronco) and Babe, and in both instances, I was sold a part that mostly matched but needed to be cut-to-fit. In this case, you'll need to find a suitable piece of pipe, cut a 3" section out, then join the two pieces to make the part you need. If you need to trim, trim the bigger one only.

MariVandaFord likes this.
  5. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I agree that doesn't look right. Here's the correct 1-piece hose:

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 2.38.09 PM.png

6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

back just in time to save the hose problem , Well done BB

7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Thanks Andrew. I figure if you want correct Falcon parts, these are the best go-to guys.

8. MariVandaFord

MariVandaFord In First Gear

Hey guys! The hose I ordered supposedly was for the proper year. However maybe when my gas tank was replaced awhile back they shifted it too far right. Who knows. But I did find a proper metal pipe piece made specifically to link these two so I got er done! Just took a couple extra hose clamps.

If I want to make sure the hose is snug as can be, is there anything I should put between the hoses and the connecting metal tube, or just cinch those hose clamps down and trust it?

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just properly cinch them down; the pressure will make the seal quite well, even against gasoline.

MariVandaFord likes this.