SEMA URGENT ALERT!!! California Proposes to Enhance Vehicle Scrappage Program

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by HarryRanchero, Jun 3, 2009.

1. HarryRanchero

HarryRanchero In Third Gear

California Proposes to Enhance Vehicle Scrappage Program
    State to Target Pre-1976 Vehicles

SEMA is opposing a California Air Resources Board (CARB) proposal to spend roughly $30 million annually for an Enhanced Fleet Modernization Program (EFMP) to augment the State's existing vehicle scrappage program. The proposal would provide incentives statewide for vehicles not currently eligible under the Consumer Assistance Program by removing the existing requirements that vehicles be subject to and fail Smog Check to participate. CARB is specifically targeting for scrappage pre-1976 vehicles that are not currently required to undergo Smock Check inspections. According to CARB, allowing vehicles that are not currently undergoing registration or that have passed their Smog Check to participate greatly expands the vehicle population that can be retired.

Participants would receive $1,000 per vehicle or $1,500 per vehicle if they meet low-income requirements. The proposal would also establish a pilot voucher program in the South Coast and San Joaquin Valley air basins that targets the highest-emitting vehicles and requires their replacement with newer, cleaner vehicles. The local air districts would work with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to determine vehicle eligibility and low-income status. Once approved, the districts would provide the applicant a Letter of Eligibility from BAR and a redeemable voucher. Consumers would retire their vehicle at a participating dismantler, receiving an immediate compensation of $1,000 - $1,500 for vehicle retirement. Consumers could then redeem their voucher at participating car dealerships toward the purchase of a replacement vehicle. CARB is proposing that the voucher compensation be $2,000 or $2,500 per vehicle depending on income level.

CARB will conduct a public hearing to consider adoption of the proposed Enhanced Fleet Modernization Program Regulation (Car Scrap).

DATE: June 25-26, 2009
    TIME: 9:00 a.m.
    PLACE: California Environmental Protection Agency
    Air Resources Board, Byron Sher Auditorium
    1001 I Street
    Sacramento, California 95814

This item will be considered at a two-day meeting of the Board, which will commence at
    9:00 a.m., June 25, 2009, and may continue at 8:30 a.m., on June 26, 2009. This item
    may not be considered until June 26, 2009.

Comments to the proposal are due June 24. To read the full proposal, go to: http://eshist.bna.com/cgi-bin/eshstate?ca_19346p1

Written comments must be received no later than 12:00 noon, Pacific Standard Time, June 24, 2009, and addressed to the following:

Clerk of the Board, Air Resources Board
    1001 I Street
    Sacramento, California 95814

Electronic submittal: http://www.arb.ca.gov/lispub/comm/bclist.php
    Fax submittal: (916) 322-3928

2. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Another one ,,Even worse

Here is the fed version and they may vote this in this or next week..
    Gotta love our newly elected Senate and Congress,,,Bunch of spend happy politicians wasting money in the name of "Green" They have spent enough of the taxpayers money on bailouts and crap like this to have totally restored Social Security and Medicare for years to come...
    http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ca...lunkers-to-stimulate-the-economic-engine.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  3. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

4. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

That is a good idea ,,,At least one group is on our side,,,

5. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

I agree that the SEMA proposal makes sense.

I understand that some politicians see this as a way to encourage the sale of new cars and trucks but I have to wonder how many people who are driving older vehicles would actually be interested in buying a "NEW" car or truck with such a relatively small incentive payment. I don't buy new, so that amount of money wouldn't be enough to change my mind. I would be more in favor of this program if it could also be used for buying used cars, maybe 5 years old or less.

6. Larry_H

Larry_H In Fourth Gear

I see this as a voluntary thing. If you don't want to give up your old beast, I saw nothing in this that would force you or give the state the authority to take it.

However, things like this are sometimes stepping stones to other actions that come later...

7. HarryRanchero

HarryRanchero In Third Gear

.... bump for those that missed it.