Show Me Your Bench/Seat Upgrades:

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by AimlessMoto, Apr 28, 2015.

1. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

I'm at the point where I'd like to start looking for interior fixes on the 76'.

I don't want to do bucket seats, but independent benches may be nice, something out of a Town Car or Continental. I'd also like seats with headrests (for safety mainly). And I'm eventually wanting to get the whole interior to a black finish. Many of my panels and pieces are in excellent shape, so a couple afternoons with some vinyl paint and leather dye are in my future... so the color of the bench is of no consequence.

The reason for looking elsewhere is that my current seat is 1. collapsed, 2. ripped, 3. unsafe, and a re-upholstery job will run me over $300 for just the skins.

I have a line on a very nice bench from a 99' Dodge Dakota for $60.
    [​IMG]

I'm fully aware anything NOT ranchero seats will need extensive modification, but something like this could probably work with a hybrid of the ranchero floor mounts and the Durango slides.

What's everyone's experience in this department? What kind of seat changes have you done? Is there a more direct bolt-in that someone has done in the past?

Keep in mind... budget oriented here.

Thanks!

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Measure your cab's interior width before making too many plans for modern seats. At least through 1971 they're pretty narrow, dunno about newer.

3. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

That's why I was thinking Durango/Ranger style.

4. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Measure twice, cut once.

5. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

Haha, no doubt. Get it all bolted in and "thud" doors don't shut...

6. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

For your post '72 it might be too narrow. Hard to stretch the seat and might have you cattywhampus inboard of the steering centerline.

7. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

TURN A CORNER FAST AND YOUR A-S IS ON THE FLOOR, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND INVEST IN THE SEAT THE CAR CAME WITH, THAT BE FORDS IDEA

8. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

YOU SHOULD HAVE SOLD THE CAR WHEN IT WAS LISTED :):):):p:p

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

No need to stick with stock just do as suggested and measure how much room you have, the are bigger than you think, and in my worthless opinion that Dakota seat looks like ass

10. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

I may do just that, Andy... I'll put a little away and hopefully save up for the "big changes" this winter. It'd be easier to change out the carpet, and seat covers at the same time anyway.

I'll probably just re-pack the seat with some extra foam and maybe an aluminum plate above the springs to help bolster it a bit.

I was just hoping for a quick and dirty fix... but I suppose keeping it as close to stock as possible will help the car in the long run.

11. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

You know.... everyone has a different idea of how they want their ranchero to look and feel. I personally like the 8-way power buckets I modified and installed in my 79. Absolutely nothing transferred over!! I ended up using a baby sledge to 'lower' the tophat channel so my head wouldn't hit the roof, then I had to check carefully and 'dimple' the back portion of the transmission tunnel about 1/2" so I could move the seat all the way back on it's tracks, finally I had a piece of flat stock welded in under the floor pan so that I had a more secure mounting place for the rear mount of the seats. Was it worth it?? To me it was! Took me about 6 weeks to get it all in and operational, but I like it! So do what you want to make your ranchero yours!

These are pictures of my completed conversion.....
    http://s279.photobucket.com/user/drlance/media/ranchint1.jpg.html