Sluggish Ranger

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by FordR500GT, Oct 30, 2019.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

My daily driver is an ‘01 Ranger with a 2.3l and a 5 speed. This truck is terribly slow. It’s gotten to the point where it’s dangerous to drive on the freeway because I can barely get up to speed to merge on. It runs fine at idle, but full throttle in 4th gear and it usually won’t get up to 60 unless I’m going downhill. A/C on and I can maybe get up to 50. I usually shift around 3 to 4K. Also running full throttle in 5th gear to keep up speed. My 4c S10 had more power than this. I’ve never owned a 4cyl Ranger before. Normal or? No codes or SES lights

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Are you sure it's the engine? Could it be a slipping clutch or dragging brake(s)? Rear diff, maybe?

Joseph

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I've had 3 Rangers, and had one run just like yours. Finally found out that the catalytic converter had puked it's guts into the muffler, almost plugging it completely. A new muffler made it run SO much better. It's probably worth a shot, mufflers are fairly inexpensive. A friend of mine had a pressure gauge that takes the place of the O2 sensor, and can check exhaust pressure, that's how we found it.

4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

How old is the O2 sensor itself?

5. FordR500GT

Now that I the n of it, CAT would make sense. Exhaust makes this awful rattling sound like gravel in a coffee can at idle. Previous owner replaced o2 sensors before I bought it.

6. FordR500GT

I had my suspicions about the clutch, but if I were to say floor it in 3rd, Rpm stays consistent with the truck rather than revving as it would if the clutch was slipping. Brakes are fine, I looked everything over when I bought it.

colnago likes this.
  7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My money is on pmrphil's idea; he knows his car stuff. And catalysts hate leaded fuel, if any passed through there.

8. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Was the timing belt replaced by the po, if so maybe off one cog

9. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

The cat went to pieces on an old F250 of mine. Ran like poop. There was a bolted flange before the cat so I unbolted it and ran it
    (uncorked and un-catted) and it ran way better. Found another cat and all was fine. Try the back pressure test to be sure.
    Older Rangers can be sensitive to O2 sensors slowly going away, but I think that is with older V6 models.

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A 2001 anything is OBD II. You need to start with a code scan, then see what the sensors are showing you. If the cat went bad, there should already be P04xx codes, which concern the emissions equipment. I'd say there's likely a P0420 (and no, it has nothing to do with that 'green') already set. If it's running too rich or too lean, the converter is likely melted, or it came apart and is blocking the muffler. You need to get this done or you'll soon be stuck on the side of the road.

11. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I also agree with everyone about the Cat Conv. being clogged which may be from the bad O2 sensor(s)

12. handy_andy_cv64

13. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

When you are trying to run it hard on the freeway and it is losing power pull over and look at the cat to see if it is glowing red or if you have an IR gun take the temp before and after the cat and do the same at the muffler. It takes a little time to build the back pressure. Still thinking timing or timing belt off a cog.

14. handy_andy_cv64

If the timing belt did jump a tooth, it retards the cam timing, so also take a look at the exhaust manifold. A correctly-running engine won't change the manifold's color much, but even one tooth retarding will cause the manifold to begin glowing.

FordR500GT likes this.