Super Sport Cluster

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by GRUMANIA, Apr 19, 2021.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

2. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

When I bought my Chero, it was in a bad condition and the preowner made many modifications. One of this was to convert it into a drag racer with a supercharger.
    Converting it back to the original state required a lot of work. In the end , the car is now looking like it left the factory in 72. But what still was left , was the ugly dash board with an empty hole, where the preowner had the instrument for the supercharger pressure.
    I was looking for a solution, finally decided to machine my own dash cover. Then I came to the idea of a "super sport cluster", as there is already a sixth hole in right quarter of the dash. I thought that an oil temp instrument would be useful, as I do not trust the water temp instrument. An additional instrument would make the dash also look more sysmmetrical. Ford filled the area with two (useless) lamps that I do not want or need.
    After making a CAD drawing from the dash cover, I modified the design , to make it look uniform - with a sixth instrument opening. Milling out the new dash was nothing special, the real problem was to make it really uniform, by making a copy of the original shroud that surrounds the other instruments. I made a mold to make a copy of the shroud, this was made from cast resin.
    I finallized now what I was always looking for , the Super Sport Cluster

3. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

After.jpg

Jeff B. likes this.
  4. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

If I ever want to convert it back to the original layout, I can use another dash cover with the standard openings ( As a friend was also looking for a dash cover, I made two files for the milling machine, STandard and Super Sport Cluster )
    Ilja

5. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

6. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Nice work, looks like it came from the factory that way.
    Denis.