The new Ford Maverick actually looks ok for the money

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Boiler92, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:53 AM.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Also will have a non-hybrid and AWD versions

TFL has a good preview.

2. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

I like it. Would buy one if they ever sell them over here. Interesting he says they could be a replacement for a Ranchero or Elky !
    Denis.

3. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

A Ford Escape with the wagon part of the top cut off, a front that looks like a Chevy Equinox, a 4 foot bed and a cheezey plastic interior a replacement for a Ranchero?? I don't care what kind of MPG they claim it gets, it won't be sitting in my driveway.

4. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I bet they sell like crazy for the first two years drop off a cliff in year 3 and are gone after 5.

If they can really sell them for $20K though, like the guy said that's in Honda Civic territory.

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd totally get one for a daily driver. A big upgrade from the 11 year old Patriot.

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Might serve well for a large portion of the folks who need an occasional truck. Unfortunately, too small for the stuff I have to move.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Funnily enough, that was what the Ranchero was designed for--small farms/dairies/etc., and small companies only needing a utility-sized truck without buying a larger truck. And these days, that's what's lacking--smaller 'utility' trucks for the occasional user, who otherwise would use it as a DD.

8. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Or canoers....

at Trillium lake.JPG

last canoe trip.jpg

What I like about my Ranchero and my old Chevy LUV is the simplicity; so easy to work on. You just don't find that anymore. Once you get them sorted, they're dead reliable. Both these vehicles have been from Oregon to Minnesota & back without an issue.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 4:21 PM
  9. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Yeah, definitely like the simplicity , and good to work on most of the time. All I have ever done to my CX3 is tyre pressures though now it is out of warranty I will do the oil changes! As a d d I think the maverick would be quite good - just jump in and go. No idea what price it would be here if we ever got it — would have to be produced in r h d first .
    Denis.

10. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

I think my wife needs one of these instead of her Kia Soul... ;)

11. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Where did you get that rack for the ranchero beer belly? I could use a rack for my '67

12. beerbelly

The roof rack is made of some old school gutter clamps I found on Craigslist, then I added a 1" tube crossmember. A buddy & I made the bed rack from 1" square tube; it slides into receivers we made and is held in place with thumb screws. The kayak cradles came from Amazon.
    I think I'm going to add some type of roller to the bed rack so the kayak will slide on easier.

20210611_055927.jpg 20210611_060004.jpg kayak rack.JPG

Lincolnut likes this.
  13. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yep, got an S10 for a DD and the old 1970 F-250 to pull the car trailer and haul heavy stuff.

14. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

No problems with wind resistance when "up to speed"? In other words it wanting to collapse backwards. Just thinkin' (as always) what could go wrong...which usually does!. Because I over-engineer things, I would have added a transverse brace to help stabilize it...

15. beerbelly

No problems at all with either one; the canoe or kayak is the transverse brace.