Tonneau Cover for a '65

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Marty, May 5, 2015.

1. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

I am thinking of putting a tonneau cover on my '65 and wondered if anyone has purchased one from Craft Covers in Texas. I have talked to them and their prices seem very reasonable as mine would be around $350 and with my new blue exterior paint and my new black interior, a black cover will look great (I believe). The one for $350 is vinyl and for $120 extra they offer a black canvas cover. I would think the canvas would be better constructed but I know the vinyl will look good especially when using Armorall on it. Has anyone put a black canvas tonneau on their truck and if so are they happy with it and how about a pic? Thanks.
    Marty, 16 minutes ago

2. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Craft Covers or Craft Tek???

The Craft Tek (not sure exactly the name) is a popular cover for the ElCaminos
    A few of my EC friends have them and they are a nice cover.
    One of the drawbacks was (some time ago) is that they had no locking mechanism.
    You had to hook a bungi cord or something to the back of the cover to the floor.
    Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but I think they were working on it.

Kinda interested in getting one for my lil blue truck as well----but not gonna drill any holes in the trim for snaps.

3. vmaxman

vmaxman In First Gear

Marty,

I'd go with a canvas cover as a vinyl cover will deteriorate in the Texas sun pretty quick; Armorall will accelerate the rot, I would not use that stuff on my wheel barrow. I use Mequiars products, spend a little more but protects the investment.

I don't think I'd drill my ranchero for a cover though.....but that's just me.
    I would think with todays technology, someone would come up with a way to attach a cover without drilling into the bodywork.

Put some pictures up of your ranchero when you can.

4. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

Thanks for the comments guys. Bryan....your right....the name is Cover Tek and I have talked to the guy and found them on line. They have fixed the method of keeping the back closed..have a couple of straps that lock them down. Waxman...I will have to drill holes...but in the bed...not the top or the body ( I wouldn't do that). They use a frame that is attached inside of the bed. You can't take it off without removed the front bolts....and it has shock absorbers that attach on the sides for pulling up the back. Once installed, I don't have a reason to take it off... can put stuff inside from the back if I want. I don't leave the Ranchero outside unless at a show or something so the sun shouldn't affect it to bad but I may use your advice and get the canvas...just want to make sure the look is what I want. Will use Mequiars instead of Armor All (thanks for the tip). I have pictures already on this site under "Post your 1965 pics here"....but will add more when I get the top on if I proceed. The canvas top is about $500 counting shipping.

5. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

I ordered my cover from Craftec yesterday and will post a pic once installed. I went with their Black Maxx which is a heavy duty vinyl with backing n$404 including shipping). They also included their published brand of cleaner that they recommend for $30 extra. The canvas that they offered was basically the same material that they make convertible tops for and I didn't really like the material that they sent me as I am looking for "the look" more so than total durability as my chero is totally garage kept and I will not drive it in the rain/snow (if I can help it). They told me the Black Maxx is the most durable vinyl.

6. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Take pics as you go along-----I have heard the instructions are a bit vague.

At my ElCamino gathering in Belton Tx over the weekend, I saw one of the covers
    for a 64-7 Elky----was nice and the straps are pulled one way or another to lock or unlock.

One individual installed key locks in his---I did not remember to get a better look when when I was told about it----in the middle of a beer sitting in the shade visiting with others.

7. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

Bryan....Unfortunately I finished the cover last Thursday, before I read your post today. I will post a some pics of the completed cover if the weather is good tomorrow (no rain) and will try to post them. I am very happy with the way it looks and operates. It is very tight with no wrinkles and I took the truck for a ride on Sunday and was going in excess of 65 with little or no movement. It is very tight. When "locking" the sides, the straps must be "outside" ( to the back) of the cover before you close the tailgate. If you forget to pull the straps outside of the cover (after positioning the locks), and close the tailgate, you may not be able to open the tailgate without damaging the cover. I'm not worried about this as when locking it down the next obvious step is to pull the straps out. I don't know how you would install a key lock in this type of cover but I am not concerned nor would I try to alter mine. I also installed the upgraded vinyl as it is stronger. I was turned off of the canvas as I wanted a particular look. As far as the instructions, they may be a little vague and I am no Einstein but I was able to figure it out with no problems. This cover is not meant to installed and removed whenever you want. I have no reason to ever remove mine. The front portion requires you to drill 2 screw holes into the rear "lip" of the metal area that is directly behind the cab in the bed. The front portion is attached to the truck via their unique method of creating a hinge that cannot come apart unless you disconnect the shock absorbers and lift the over totally horizontal. The hinge will not come apart unless you do this. Besides the "hinge" in the front, locks on the sides and the shock absorbers in the back, keep it all together. The instructions are a little unclear on exactly where to drill the holes in the front but is imperative to get it right as this makes sure the cover is level. I did call them about this and Eric provided the help I needed. I am really glad that I did this modification as it looks great.