Transmission identification

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Shane Carsjens, Jun 9, 2021 at 1:25 PM.

1. Shane Carsjens

Shane Carsjens In First Gear

Does anyone know what transmission is in the 1974 Ford Ranchero 500 351c 2 barrel? It's a 3 speed. Sorry if I left out any important information, I'll gladly add any details I may be missing.

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Off the top of my head I would say it is a C4 trans (typical for that engine combo). But look in the driver side door jam and get the trans code and post it and someone will let you know.

3. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Or you can check it yourself:

Transmission Codes.jpg

4. Dan the ranchero man

Like I said you can check it yourself :D !

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Dan, I wonder how many had the C4 vs. the FMX? My Squire had the 351C-2V/FMX. And yeah, it was losing 2nd gear.

6. Dan the ranchero man

Hard to tell. The 74 ranchero before the swap was a 351 w/ c4 combo and the 79 was a 302/ c4 combo. My second car was a 74 torino with a 302/c4 combo and last was a 78 t bird that was a 351w/c4 combo. The only fmx transmission I ever owned was on a 75 montego that the wife drove. Even after a rebuild that trans never shifted correctly. All the c4 transmissions work good.

7. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

might be worth having a look at it. my [72] door plate said C4 so i got a gasket and filter to do a oil change then found myself looking at aFMX
    now have a 4R70W still says C4 on plate

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If the case is iron, and the bellhousing is held on with four bolts outside, it's an FMX. If it has a separate bellhousing but no visible bolts, it's a C4.