Transmission pan leak. gasket replacement?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by MariVandaFord, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MariVandaFord

MariVandaFord In First Gear

Im looking to replace the trans pan gasket but Im not sure whether its best to buy one online or use the "cut your own gasket" type stuff i have. (i figure specific ones could last longer)?
    In order to look up the proper gasket online, I have to know the engine type and transmission, and because the original engine was switched...im not sure if the transmission was aswell. The original was a straight 6. The engine in it now is a V8 ...302. because those werent made in that size for that year....im really clueless as to how to look up the gasket i need. help?

My transmission pan has been leaking for over a year, but as of recently (4 months or so) i have to put a half quart of transmission oil in every other day at least.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Cork or paper gaskets are fine for a transmission, but peening a gasket on aluminum while lying on your back risks creating dents that will leak, so a purchased gasket is advised.

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

302, it's either a C-4 or a C-6 . Either one of those you can buy the gasket at most any parts store.

4. 1978GT

1978GT In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Ford Transmission ID 2.gif

Jeff B likes this.
  5. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Also make sure the pan rail is flat where each bolt hole is. When the bolts are tightened they tend to deform the pan rail a bit at each hole as the gasket compresses.

6. MariVandaFord

Thank you guys! It turned out to be a c-4 and just a $7 gasket. However I believe I need to replace the actual pan now because it leaks no less than before. I believe the rim is a little bent around some bolts.

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wood block. Ball peen hammer. Hold the pan upright, and start hitting the holes, with the block in support, one at a time. Don't wail on the pan, just a fair hit to flatten the metal. Use your eyes at pan rail level to see your progress. With patience and a fair block of time, you should be able to flatten the pan railings to get it to seal better. Then, if you put the gasket on completely dry, don't. Use 3M yellow super weatherstrip adhesive/sealant, #8001. It's the same adhesive used for vinyl flooring. Apply beads to the pan and the same surface on the gasket, let air dry, then apply the gasket to the pan so that the glue comes into contact with each other. One other thing I also do is clean and dry the bolts as well as the bolt holes, then apply black RTV around each bolt shank, start them in the holes and snug up, 12 lb/ft or 144 lb/in IIRC. Let the RTV cure overnight, then go ahead and put the fluid in the next day.

8. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Personally I shudder at the thought of RTV anywhere near a transmission. But Andy is dead on with flattening the pan rail - once it's flat, it will seal. If it's deformed, you would need a tube of glue to get it to slow down leaking.

ribald1 likes this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

The RTV only goes where the bolts go, and if allowed to cure before putting the fluid in, it's not a problem. Also, you don't Betty Crocker the bolts, more like Brylcreem--"A little dab'll do ya." The one time I used RTV on the gasket itself was a disaster, but in my defense, it was long before I became a mechanic, when I did my own repairs.

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If one were to succeed in getting RTV to work on sealing a transmission pan they would be wise to sell the car before the next filter change, or better yet, right away.
    Especially if they fired it up before the RTV fully cured and some ended up getting sucked through the filter.
    Barring transmission damage, getting RTV off of aluminum when it has bonded to it is not a fun thing to do on your back with tranny fluid dripping on your face.

11. handy_andy_cv64

I should know, I've had to do it many times, but non-chlorinated brake cleaner seems to be the better product.

12. handy_andy_cv64

And, as I said, use very little to seal the bolt shanks, and wait for it to cure overnight before putting fluid in.

13. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Probably already finished, but if not - replace the transmission pan with a new one that comes with a drain plug. A drain plug makes life so much easier.

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Still need to pull the pan to replace the filter, flushing the system is a good idea to, no need to mess with pulling the plug out of the converter.

15. MariVandaFord

The new one I ordered last week does have a drain plug I believe! Otherwise I will try this ball peen hammer fix on the old one! Thank you guys so much

16. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Go for it. This is Auto Shop, 101. You can do it.

17. handy_andy_cv64

If I can do it, you can too.