upper and lower ball joints

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ian Goolsby, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Ian Goolsby

Ian Goolsby In Second Gear

Hey folks I have new upper and lower ball joints for my 67 ranchero. do i need to completely pull the springs out to change these or can i just compress the springs and leave them in? i have a good spring compressor. taking the springs all the way out is such a pain.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Aren't your springs/shocks directly above the upper suspension arm? Don't think you will need to do anything about them -- (not actually knowing anything about the '67 front suspension.)

3. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have always removed the springs completely. If you have a good spring compressor it isn't too much trouble. Plus you can inspect and replace (If necessary) the spring insulators.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A HF spring compressor kit is inexpensive (notice I didn't say 'cheap?') and makes things much easier.

5. Ian Goolsby

Ian Goolsby In Second Gear

Andy would you have a link to the one you are referring to?

6. 67XL390

67XL390 In Second Gear

A block of wood placed between the upper A - arm and the frame will hold the spring in place while you R&R the the ball joints

Carl

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

What Carl said = Once you place that piece of wood between the upper "A" arm and the frame the remainder of the front suspension is just hanging there under no load except for the weight of the hanging parts.

8. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

9. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I think I own and found I had to use the type that goes in the middle of the spring and compresses it that way. It worked rather well on my 67. One of the first things I did when getting the car was replace the springs themselves as they were sagging enough to cause a rub on the fenders.

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

11. Hillbilly

Andy, you have been around Ford dealerships enough to maybe used an OTC-7045B spring compressor. I borrowed one from my local dealer and was impressed enough to buy one for myself. Seems to be made of high quality metal as I see no wear after using it hundreds of times on every kind of Ford front end. And used it on a few GM beasts too. On the unit body Fords you just remove the shock then pull the spring up into the spring tower enough to let you remove the upper "A" arm. You can then let the tension off and remove the spring if needed. Works great on frame Fords too. It isn't cheap but it lasts forever and won't unravel causing you to get hurt.

12. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

That's an interesting design. I've not seen one like that before. Among other things, the ad says this:

"Remove coil spring to replace or repair shock absorbers, spring set struts and more"

Wouldn't you have to remove any internal shocks/struts/etc., in order to have room inside the spring to use this?

Joseph

13. Hillbilly

I have used that design compressor and like the OTC compressor, if the shock is inside the spring, the shock has to be removed first.

colnago likes this.
  14. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Any chance you or Carl could find a picture or scribble a diagram of this? Always like to learn a new shop trick but can't picture what you guys mean.

15. Hillbilly

Ok, kinda' hard to see in this pic but it is as good as I have. Notice the spot where the upper a arm is sitting. It is just above the frame rail that runs horizontally front to rear in black paint in this pic. At the inside end of the a arm closest to the engine underneath the upper arm is a notch where you can stick in a piece of wood. Something like a stubby piece of a 2x4 will work. Raise the front of the car to where the front wheels are off the ground then secure the car on sturdy stands in that position. Now put a jack under the lower arm and raise one side at a time just a bit higher. Now look under the upper arm and you will see where to put the piece of wood to hold the spring slightly compressed. Note that now everything from the upper ball joint down is just hanging there. Only the weight of the lower arm, spindle, brakes will be what you are dealing with. In this position gravity will be trying to pull apart the ball joints, not squeezing them together. Ranchero 082.jpg

Jeff B and PonyExpressRider like this.
  16. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Thanks. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

17. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My spring compressor is lowered through the shock hole in the engine compartment. That's how I put mine in, anyway. Potato, potato. As long as you work safely.
    [​IMG]

Hillbilly likes this.