vin decoding

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by brsuavemente, Sep 20, 2007.

1. brsuavemente

brsuavemente Guest

Looking to buy a Ranchero, dont know whether or not Vin# corresponds with car, owner says it is 1973 but when decoding the name plate in car it says it is a 1979. This is the Vin#91A49H196395F, which is in front on dash of driver side, would anyone please help me?

[ September 20, 2007, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: dmudo ]

2. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Big difference between a 71 and a 79, got pics?

3. brsuavemente

brsuavemente Guest

I'll get some pics, is that a big deal if the car is a 1973 and the vin is a 1979? Your help is greatly appreciated.

4. brsuavemente

brsuavemente Guest

Sorry the car is a 1973 not a 1971.

5. brsuavemente

brsuavemente Guest

what is a squire?

6. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

A Squire is a Ranchero that has the simulated wood paneling on the sides.
    Here is a picture of my 1973 Ranchero Squire Cobra Jet.
    [​IMG]

Here is a members 1970 Ranchero Squire
    [​IMG]
    Between 1972 and 1979 there were three basic body types for the Ranchero, the 500, the GT, and the Squire. The squire were the rarest of the three.
    Here are the production number for the Ranchero in 1973.
    1973 -
    # 500 - 25,634
    # GT - 15,320
    # Squire - 4,787
    and the numbers for 1979
    1979 -
    500 - 12,093
    GT - 12,159
    Squire - 758

[ September 20, 2007, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: trikar ]

7. brsuavemente

brsuavemente Guest

Is a squire worth buying if does not have the wood grain triming?

8. trikar

As a Ranchero sure, but there would be no extra value to the fact that it is a squire. Many people ended up removing the Squire trim when a piece broke off or the wood grain faded because the Squire trim is very hard to come by. As long as someone did a good job of filling in the holes where the trim went, it will look just like any other Ranchero 500 or GT.
    This is a 1975 Squire of MaryT, when she bought it all the squire trim was gone, she sanded it down smooth and filled the holes where the Squire trim went.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. brsuavemente

brsuavemente Guest

here are the pictures of the Ranchero

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[ September 22, 2007, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: dmudo ]

10. trikar

That is a 70-71 Ranchero model. Check the rear door frame on the drivers side for the light blue sticker that is the door data plate, it will have the VIN as well as other identification information about the car, also cross reference that VIN number with the VIN on the DMV Reg.

11. Torkair

Torkair Guest

Agreed! The first number of the vin is always the last digit of the year that it was made (if I'm wrong please correct me). From what you've posted That truck is indeed a 1971 Squire Ranchero that was origionaly equiped with a 351 Cleveland 2bbl motor (the 9 at the begining and the F at the end should have no relevence, again correct if I'm wrong). Looks like a great find, so long as the price is right (remember, a squire is just another ranchero if it doesn't have the wood panneling)

12. trikar

The "9" at the front and the "F" at the end are actually both "F"'s like the "F" in the Ford's Blue Oval logo, which Ford used on the Dash board VIN Tags. You should always cross check the dash Tag with the Door data plate and the actual DMV Reg. to make sure everything matches.

13. brsuavemente

brsuavemente Guest

It is a 1971, does not have radio,has bucket seats,and is working condition, slight rust on exterior paneling, and slight rust on floor. What is the maximum I should pay for it. You guys have been very helpful and I do appreciate your help, god bless.

14. trikar

Being that you are in Southern California, where it is much easier to come across a rust free Ranchero than in other parts of the Country,I would say $1,500-$2,000. If it is a newly rebuilt engine maybe an additional $500

15. mcgruff1984

mcgruff1984 Guest

i am new to this i was just wondering how to decode the dash plate vin i have a 77 ranchero 500 the dash and my title look to have different vins i dont know whats up with that but looking to see how much it is worth it used to be my grandpas patrol car when we was sheriff in 84 to 88 and only has 26311 original miles but i dont know how to find the value now that i have it. thanks for any help i can get

16. mcgruff1984

mcgruff1984 Guest

my vin looks like 7D47H170729F THE TITLE says 7A47J170729 I DONT UNDERSTAND