What is it about Rancheros and the absolute lack of respect they get?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by HUDSKIT, Jun 29, 2011.

1. diggette

diggette In Maximum Overdrive

good one. hillbillys all the way:cool::cool::cool:

2. Thomas Campbell II

Thomas Campbell II In Second Gear

Agree, we hav to earn our respect trust me

I hav a 1970 and everyday I got people at school sayin nice el camino an man that ticks me off! XD people know what followed u's ya they don't k ow the real thing! It's like someone thinking that walmart came out with fruity pebbles 1st!! (sorry for the food reference im hungry) but ya man! I went to the Carlisle parts thing a few months ago and people when I asked if they had any thing ranchero would laugh in my face and scream goodluck as I walked on... I finally got it thru peoples heads at my high school that IT'S A FREGGIN R-A-N-C-H-E-R-O not an El Camino, all it took was an entire year

3. 210eddiep

210eddiep In Overdrive

i was putting gas in a while back and the guy next to me walks over and says nice el camino its just like one my dad had. i said it cant be this is a ford ranchero. he replied thats funny looks just likes dads el camino. oh well i gave up. fender badges and tailgate letters should have been the giveaway.

4. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

I have a 78.Spent about 10 minutes talking at the pump with a guy who loved it.Spent another 20 at the fireworks stand talking about her who also loved it. Had a guy hang out of his F150 going thru town checking her out.These are typical days around here.Even the bowtie boys like her.

5. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

You guys are not alone.

My 59 gets called a Ranchero on a regular basis:rolleyes:

I also get the "Know-it-All" folks that smugly inform me that Ford had the idea first. (this is a catch 22 as GM did have a utility bed for the sedans available in the 30's)(but I won't argue this point and concede to the Ford Crest:D)
    And there are others that have no idea what it is--(i can almost understand this)

The lil microtruck Ranchero has already been called an ElCamino.

Don't really matter to me----I get a kick out of driving either one.

I'm not so brand loyal.
    Here is some of my little fleet of little trucks
    [​IMG]

Got a couple more pick-ups out back too!

6. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That 59 is sweet, would love to have one myself.

7. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

The 59 is gorgeous. People do get a little crazy with the brand loyalty. I looked at everything when I was buying my recent old car, but went with the 67 because it was a rare find and always has been my favorite model. I looked at el caminos, novas, darts, valiants, furys, vw's and even a couple of old jags. It really came down to a 66 impala that we were thinking of making a clone of the supernatural (tv show) car, 64? nova, a 66 ranchero and then the 67 that I bought.

8. diggette

i guess that's where the term "ute" comes in handy.........there isn't a name for the rancheros and el caminos in america so they just get called by a 'brand'.....like kleenex (for a tissue)..or coke (for a soda pop).....or hoover (for a vacuum)

9. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

I just agree with them if they call mine a El Camino. Not a problem.

10. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Worked with a guy that jokingly called mine a Rampage, just gotta roll with the punches:D

11. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

Now that would be an insult!

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

???????????????????????????

13. Ringo00

Ringo00 In Second Gear

This Always drives me nuts. I get asked all the time what year my "El Camino" is because they don't remember that body style. Even when getting parts at the local Napa, Auto Zone or O'Reilly, if I am looking for front end parts, I just tell them its a q-code Gran Torino. As for it being called a Rampage, that's just funny. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those little things. I could paint it to match the 'chero and keep it in the truck bed. :)

14. Bart68

Bart68 In Second Gear

I had one, wouldn't mind another, very easy on fuel and if you can fit larger parts for your Ranchero in it. They have a leaf sprung rear axle.

15. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

From what I gather, the Aussie term for the "Sedan-Pickup" version of
    of vehicles (Our ElCamino, Ranchero, Rampage) is a "UTE". The term applies to Ford, Dodge, GM and others I would suppose.

Kind of like our generic terms.
    Car
    Pickup
    SUV

The vehicles that were ORIGINALLY considered utility vehicles here (STATES),
    in my lifetime were
    Blazers/Jimmys
    Broncos (early) and this includes the pick-up version
    Scout

The service manuals for these even called them "Utility Vehicles"

I called them "ditch riders" as they were a common car for the people that managed the canal systems where I grew up.

16. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yea I got that Bryan

This is what I do not get?

".........there isn't a name for the rancheros and el caminos in america so they just get called by a 'brand'....."

17. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

.........there isn't a name for the rancheros and el caminos in america so they just get called by a 'brand'....."

+++++++++++++

I have to disagree; the generic name today is "el camino" for a light pickup made from station-wagon sheetmetal, regardless of the actual brand, that's just a detail. Maybe due to Mexican influences. Which is why I have a Ford el camino. It's just sad that the public didn't adopt 'ranchero' instead -- them's the breaks.

18. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

The correct term would be "Sedan/Pickup".
    This is what GM calls their version-----I'm sure FOMOCO has a very similar term
    in their service/assembly manuals

Too damn many syllables for the upcoming generations to bother with.
    (yea--I know, 4 for the EC, 4 for the SED/PU and only 3 for Ranchero.)

Over at the EC site I visit----they call 'em "crucks"-----I don't care for that term.

My signature line on a couple of sites that I go to reads:

Car??? Truck??? Who Cares???

I just have fun with them

19. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I am planning on taking a Ranchero, Extending the roof line back a bit and adding some side windows and angling the tailgate inwards with a flip up back glass. Still a two seater two door.
    I will call it the "CHOMAD"

20. diggette

i knew you'd get it bb:cool: