what transmissions are you guys running

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Andyjman83, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Andyjman83

Andyjman83 In Second Gear

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out which transmission would be best for my needs, so i figured id ask what transmissions are you running?
    My 72 gt currently has a 351c with a c4 but im in the process of building a 418 clevor for it, but i cant decide whether to build a strong c4, or go all out on a 4r70w and have over drive. Id like to have od, but having to add a tranny controller and all the other stuff doesnt sound like itdd be fun to set up not to mention the added expense. If i stick with the c4 id like to run an auto/manual valve body so i can cruise around town in auto, but go to manual when its track time.

I plan on using the car for weekendnuse, ie drag strip, car shows, races, etc.

What yall think, and what are yall running.

2. Andyjman83

Btw, whatever route i decide to go, i plan on eliminating the column shifter and going with a floor mount.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

AOD ... go with the overdrive you will be happy

4. Andyjman83

Stupid question, but how hard is it to set up and maintain adjustment on that tv cable that the aod uses? I have heard horror stories about them being off a hair and toasting the trans.

Correct me if im wrong, but from what i understood, the aod is not computer controlled like the aode is, and the aod also doesnt have the ability to use a lock up converter?

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Correctly setting it just requires a pressure gauge and adapter fittings; the spec is the engine running in curb idle, trans in N, gauge reads 34 PSI, and should go up 1 more PSI to 35 when D is engaged. BTW, you can buy race-spec AODs; Art Carr is one builder. A standard spec AOD does have a T/C clutch, but IIRC, they can be set up to delete that for performance apps.

7. Andyjman83

Thay sounds like itdd be a good route to go. I had just read so many topics about the aod and how hard it is to set the tv cable. It doesnt sound that bad at all. Id love to have od too lol.

8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

9. Andyjman83

Whay builders have you had success with? I have been reading good things about lentech especially since the shift can be 1, 2, 3, od if i decide to go with a manual or manual/auto valve body

10. Andyjman83

Im going to get this project going again. Every time i go in the garage and see it, i remember how much it deserves to be restored.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Stick with it. Even in the deepest, darkest times of it, stick with it.

12. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As others have said. AOD but with 4R70W internals and Lentech valve body and no lock-up. I went lock-up because I had different ideas when I first started. Lock-Up is really not that bad, you need to ensure you get an alloy direct shaft. I have the Lentech with 123 and overdrive is via solenoid activation. Without lock-up the AOD can be made much stronger and if I remember right there are more choices from LenTech.

13. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Several firms make the non locking convertor. It is very popular. On a performance application, losing the torque multiplication in 4th gear is a downside along with the weakness of the dual shafts you pointed out.

14. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

My Ranchero has a c-4 but I like the idea of OD.

Is $250 a good price for a working AOD?

15. handy_andy_cv64

If complete, yes. If no torque convertor, subtract $100, as that's the cost of a new one with no core.

16. handy_andy_cv64

And popping in an AOD gives you the chance to regear the rear diff.

17. Gammz

Gammz In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I built a c4 for my 5.0 in our 1964 ranchero. With 3.50 gears out back she's a bit wound up past 60+ mph. The AOD would be cool. But 700.00 bones into my c4 and really wanting to get it on the road I went that route.

DonC likes this.
  18. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Your right, it's actually much easier to find a non locking than a locking.