What was your 1st car ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by desertdale, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

1970 Mercury Montego MX with hidden headlights. It could have been an awesome car car except for having a 302 engine and being a northern rust-bucket.

2. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

66 mustang "Sprint" edition...lovingly referred to as "The Bondo Bucket" lasted all the way through high school. 200ci C4 and nothing else. $100 flintstone floors and shag carpet...

3. sgtfixit

sgtfixit In Third Gear

74 Gran Torino 4dr

Really enjoyed readuing these "memories", and not sure why.

In 1989, mine was a 74 Gran Torino 4 door w/ a 400 and a broken water pump. Pea green ext. poop brown interior. I paid $25 for it to a guy who had shgort notice orders to greenland. Had to change the pump in the barracks parking lot in below zero temps to get it running. mind you, I did not know anything about cars at the time. An aircraft mechanic friend sat in his running car with the window cracked open, guided me through the procedure.

Great car...lotta fun. Back then, not many troops had cars, and since I was not yet old enuff to drink...I played designated driver. Stopped at every gas station on the way home and collected "gas money" from the drunks. I made an average of $75 a weekend! (and never paid for gas)

4. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

I had one of the uglist out there.... a 65 valiant. yeah..4 door too. It was a blast though, amazing what you can do to a old car.

[​IMG]

not mine, but same color.... mine was beat a lil more though.

5. 66 Mopar

66 Mopar In Fourth Gear

If I remember right. My first car was a 61 T-Bird. I got it 3 months before I got my license. Pulled the 390 out and replaced it with a DQ 428 I got from a friend. My favorite was this 66 barracuda I got shortly after. It was the first engine I ever built.

Attached Files:

6. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

1975 Chevy Impala 4 door pickle green.

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That car is in the Lowe's parking lot here in town. I see it all the time. I'll get a pic for you (of the car......freak!!)

Those Dairy Queen motors were bad ass...:p I was 15 minutes away from getting a white 'Cuda like that, when the Chevelle I was selling for the money was hit broadside by a motorcycle. I was 'this close' to becoming a Mopar fanatic. Whew, that was close!!!!

8. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

We had a pickle green 73 Imp growing up. It was pretty wretched but it ran, so we were cool with it.

9. TestDummy

We had a 4-door, 1968 Delta 88, with a 455, from 1968-1978, when it fell apart. Dad then got Mom a new 'leftover', bare-bones, 1977 Pontiac Ventura, 2-door, V6, 3 on the tree, AM Radio. I remember her being none-too-pleased, being handed the keys to that turquoise POS. I learned to drive a manual transmission on that pile, when I was 14, when me and my friends would sneak it out for trips around the hood. Mom had that thing until it rusted away. She then got an equally horrible POS; a 1984 Poo Brown Ford Tempo. Man they started making crappy cars a long time ago.

10. ForistellFord

Ugh, Tempos. I'm sure Ford pretty much denies ever making those things. I wonder if there are any Tempo forums.

11. 66 Mopar

66 Mopar In Fourth Gear

Those Dairy Queen motors were bad ass...:p I was 15 minutes away from getting a white 'Cuda like that, when the Chevelle I was selling for the money was hit broadside by a motorcycle. I was 'this close' to becoming a Mopar fanatic. Whew, that was close!!!![/QUOTE]

That was my first and last big block for a long time. I loved the power but couldn't afford the gas, even thought it was only around .50 a gallon.
    I fell into mopars mainly because some of my friends had them and guided me towards the light. :D It seemed every one and the brother owned a ford or chevy. I never figured out if I should be happy or upset for that. :confused: LOL Mopars definitely cost more to own. I have more in the fury motor than I do all together in the Ranchero.

12. TestDummy

If there is, do you think they have the same cast of characters?

13. ForistellFord

Well, I don't know... There's Tempo and Topaz both, and that's a lot of pressure.

14. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

l drove a tempo as a company car when l lived in Orlando.... great car.... saved putting a zillion miles on my own car.... before that l drove a chevy citation.... company car...

15. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you mean 'Is FF a member?' the answer is undoubtedly yes.

My first car was a 2 door 63 buick special. As I was 15 at the time my Mom made me buy it from a lot for $275.00. I got ripped off.
    When I was 16 I bought a 58 TR3 for $50, sold the buick for $30 to a sucker.
    Used cars were worth a lot more back in 70, 71, than they are today.

16. Denny

You could do a search, or just ask one of the members on the Chevette forum. If there is one, I'll bet they'll know.

17. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

my first car.
    grandma's 67 mustang.
    still a daily driver.

second owner, family owned.

my only regret is that she didnt purchase the 289....

18. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

heres pic.

Attached Files:

19. Denny

A really good Grandma would have bought a fastback......with a 390 and 4 speed........or a Shelby.:D

20. 66 Mopar

66 Mopar In Fourth Gear

I had forgot about the 68 390 cars. Here you couldn't give them away in the 70s. No one wanted them. I have a friend that got one as his first car and still has it. I guess he was a little smarter than most. Every one wanted the 289 back then. My mom had bought a new 86 tempo. I have to say. That was a great car. 40 mpg and you couldn't keep it under 80 on the freeway. You could do 55 and look down and find you were at 80 again. If I could find one like her old one. I would buy it. :D