Wiring scramble:lights

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by MariVandaFord, Jan 31, 2018.

1. MariVandaFord

MariVandaFord In First Gear

I have driven without blinkers for a year now. I’d really like to fix them but I don’t want to take it to a mechanic.
    For a long time I had no blinkers or brake lights, then got both fixed, then blinkers went out, got them fixed again, went out again. My mechanic seemed to have quite a bit of trouble with the wiring. Saying it was confusing and jumbled. I did watch him mess with it one day, getting brake lights stuck on, one blinker stuck on, no lights at all, etc etc. I’d like to fix it myself and not have to be charged for the difficult time someone else has to deal with.

Any guidance advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Start with getting a test light and a wiring diagram.
    What year is your truck?

Freestyle Don likes this.
  3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

That's good advice - most signal/brake light problems can be in the signal lever switch, they are color coded so once you get the diagram and test light, you should be able to figure it out. Take your time and just use common sense.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Many mechanics haven't a clue when it comes to electrical yet tackle it anyway, usually yielding the results you are experiencing.
    If anyone working on your electrical is fumbling around or is confused, stop and get someone else on it.
    As an electrical contractor I can tell you that the wiring in your car is very simple if looked at one circuit at a time.

Freestyle Don, Saff54 and pmrphil like this.
  5. MariVandaFord

MariVandaFord In First Gear

It’s a 1963. I’ll go search for a wiring diagram

6. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

While you look for your wiring diagram, try to find and clean ground wires and electrics that mount to frame or body for ground and clean those connections.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  7. pbsdaddy

pbsdaddy In Second Gear

The switch, (contacts in the switch), the grounds and the cleanliness of the sockets are the major areas of concern. As suggested, start with the easiest, the continuity. Use your newly purchased multi-meter to check resistance in each wire. You can do about 3 feet at a time. There should be 0 resistance between point A and point B in your wires. Use needles and alligator clips to penetrate the wire coating. You can check the entire length of each and every wire this way. If there is resistance, you have isolated a problem. Make sure the ground(s) are solid a and a clean metal to metal contact. Then move to the sockets. Use a brass tube brush the clean the interior of the sockets. Make sure the contact(s) at the bottom of the socket are clean. Check the leads running to them, (you've already checked the ground). If all that fails, then pull the steering wheel and check the switch. Again, it's the metal contacts that need to be clean, dirt and grease free.

Jeff B likes this.
  8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Don't forget to use dielectric grease on everything you clean.
    Otherwise it can become a profession.

9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Took the words off of my keyboard, firm believer in it.

10. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I was having similar issues with my taillights... no turn signals, no brakes. With running lights on, step on brake, back of car went dark. Including plate lights. Problem (grounds) were found in the steering column!

but let your testing take you there!