Would you let your 17 year old daughter do this?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ribald1, Nov 19, 2018.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

TestDummy likes this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

First I'd have to be so rich I could afford to start them out in racing at a young age, and then they would have to be 100% invested in the idea, and then my wife would have to approve, and there's no way any of that would happen.

ForistellFord likes this.
  3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That car was traveling shockingly fast at that corner; she must have lost her brakes.

4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I suppose its still safer than what a 17 year old in Detroit does.

TestDummy likes this.
  5. ribald1

More likely she choked.
    When I was racing motorcycles I saw it happen many times, mostly by less experiences riders.
    Things go wrong and the brain freezes. It takes practice and developed mental control to keep trying for control all the way to impact. When one gets into high speed racing it is imperative that one have a mindset and mental will to keep at it automatically or you end up as she did. Luckily she didn't kill any of the 3 people she hit.

6. TestDummy

That's a pretty sexist statement, but not surprising. So, you're saying that when Jimmy Johnson makes a mistake and crashes, it's because his brain locked up? Hahahahaha. You are so awesome!!!

This wasn't her first race, you know. I'm more surprised you didn't Google her career stats.

She started racing at the age of 5, and has run 85 Formula races. Choked, my butt ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_Flörsch

Also safer than sticking your kid in a pre-2000, pretty much anything.

7. ribald1

So, you agree that she choked, but won't say it because, well you know, she's a girl and girls have to only have good things said about them or they will run away and cry.
    Glad that's out of the way.

8. TestDummy

Sorry, Charlie, but you are the one that implied girls can't drive, not me. And that she was inexperienced. And, that she choked. If you are interested in the real cause (which does not include the words 'girl' or 'inexperienced'), see below.

https://www.motorsport.com/us/f3/news/sophia-floersch-macau-crash-analysis/4300064/

Cliff Notes:

The accident cause

The accident was triggered by Floersch running in to the back of Jehan Daruvala – who according to the following Guan Yu Zhou appeared to slow for yellow warning flags

The Chinese driver said: “Sophia was really close to Jehan, so when Jehan braked early she had no time to react. She hit Jehan’s right-rear, and that spun her around straight into Lisboa, and she flew into the other car.”

The clash with Daruvala was enough to spear Floersch to the right, where she struck the crash barriers which ripped the left hand side wheels off her car.

At the very moment she should have been slowing, she was effectively left without brakes – so ran at unabated sped towards Lisboa. Speed trap figures registered her at 276.2km/h.

9. ForistellFord

So in other words, Rubby was right. A girl driver who's gender and lack of skill and experience led to a crash. If Rubby was driving, we wouldn't even be talking about this. You know, he's a guy, so a better driver. And he's really old, so experience.

10. TestDummy

When isn't he right? She was involved in a crash. One that real racers would, and have, called, 'One of those deals'. One she couldn't avoid. She has more track time at 17 than he as at 67. Yet, who is the expert racer? You guess it, Rubby.

Most here don't realize how awesome it is to have an expert at everything, like him, at the ready. The Pinto forum probably doesn't have someone that smart. Damn sure the Mopar one doesn't.

11. ForistellFord

I sure realize it! I'm thankful every day I come here and see he's responded with THE answer or insight to every post. Thank you!

12. TestDummy

We are truly blessed.
    [​IMG]

13. ForistellFord

14. ribald1

I know I have hit a home run when the fans go wild.

15. TestDummy

[​IMG]

pmrphil and ForistellFord like this.
  16. ForistellFord

I think you meant

[​IMG]

17. ribald1

You're buddy will claim that was a strike, inside corner, and to say otherwise is sexist.
    Did you check giggle for her credentials?

18. Tygr1

Tygr1 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

You guys are far too funny for a car forum.

19. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

"Like funny, how? Like I amuse you?" Joe Pesci would've walked away from this.

Basstrix, ForistellFord and GBH Jon like this.
  20. ribald1

Joe Pesci is a member here?
    Well, we then have the movie star, the skipper and his little buddy, burningbush is the professor, cindy Maryanne, all we need is the millionaire and his wife.